Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Extreme arcade cabinets.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Extreme arcade cabinets. Empty
PostSubject: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:31 pm

I love arcade cabinets that aren't like the standard upright ones with just buttons and a stick. Cabinets with just a gun instead of a controller aren't too special those are pretty common too. I always thought the dance dance revolution machines are brilliant as they're quite different. The drummania machines are great too. My favourite obscure machines are the deluxe cabinets sega was making in the 80s. The deluxe cabinets are a combination of an arcade game and a motion ride....meaning the whole cabinet moves with you as you control your vehicle / character in the game. Sega used these deluxe machines for their early pseudo 3d games just to make them even more immersive, obviously the idea wouldn't work with a 2d game. My personal favourite (and also my favourite arcade machine of all time) is the afterburner deluxe cabinet. I've actually played in one of these machines in an arcade and it was nothing short of amazing:

Having the whole cabinet move with your jet actually does feel real and really makes you feel like you're in the cockpit of a jet going at warp speed.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 pm

Yeah the Sega cabinets are amazing! My personal favourite is space harrier.

A friend of mine owns several of them such as Out run deluxe, after burner deluxe and he somehow managed to acquire space harrier deluxe which is incredibly rare!

He also has a Youtube channel. He did a review on afterburner which shows footage of him playing the game in the deluxe cabinet at the end (here's the video if your interested for another look at the cabinet and also the series):

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:48 pm

You have no idea how much I hate your friend out of pure jelousy....space harrier deluxe gahhhhhhh that's so wicked. Outrun deluxe I can live without....but it's still awesome..galaxy force deluxe looks pretty awesome too

What shocks me is how few videos there are of these deluxe cabs each cab I could only find 1-2 videos and most of these videos have barely any views....what's wrong with people today?

I think what reminded me of the afterburner cab was I've been playing 32x games using my mega everdrive and the 32x has an arcade perfect port of afterburner 1 + 2.

You have no idea how much I want an afterburner deluxe cab. It's just moving the thing would be a royal pain so we'd have to own a house before even thinking about that.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 11:13 pm

I've never played Galaxy Force 2, the cabinet looks great and so does the game.

The last time I went to his place I played Space Harrier and was blown away, the game is phenomenal. The after burner cabinet looks amazing, The game play wasn't as good as I remembered though, maybe I just need to try it again.

Yeah, it's that not enough people appreciate the real games, the games made with passion, the games of today are all about the money it's such a shame. With every next generation of console I care less and less, the games are just so monotonous, there's just zero creativity anymore, I think games are heading towards death if something radical doesn't happen. I'm so glad I grew up with the golden age of games, modern gamers will never understand...

Haha yeah it does take up quite a lot of space and is indeed a pain to move, he was considering getting an R360 cabinet at one point but it would have taken up far too much room.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Afterburner never had great gameplay....but I still love the game to bits. Especially on my beautiful picture s-video modded 32x afterburner looks pixel perfect and is very fun...and yes I really don't think there's any way not to get blown up in the game...but I still love it. The r360 is insane but afterburner has more than enough motion than I'd ever need. Also afterburner is just a cooler game....so yeah...

Galaxy force is pretty cool you should give it a try sometime. I also recently discovered gunbuster a fps mech deathmatch game from 1992. It's really early 3d but you have full control of your motion. Too bad it's only like 7 stages long:

Last edited by Drakon on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Ah good, I'm glad to hear someone else doesn't think the gameplay is great in afterburner. My friend seems to think it has amazing gameplay. Your exactly right, it seems whatever you do you get blown up. But what I do love is the atmosphere of the game, the music and the graphics, I love SST bands medley of the music from it.

Yeah I will try it out definitely. Gunbuster looks pretty cool, actually I think I've played it on MAME before, it would have been great to experience in the cabinet.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Also I think back in the 80s and early 90s all these things hadn't been done before but after that generation everything awesome that could be done had been done and the technology had become too powerful for its own good.

Of course afterburner isn't great gameplay it's meant to be wanton destruction and it does that well. A lot of arcade games back in the day were designed just to suck your money away and afterburner is the perfect example of this. But that over the top cabinet is just so fun you don't care! And you're right it has such great atmosphere and anything but arcade perfect or almost arcade perfect ports just won't do. I love playing it on my 32x and most rounds don't last for very long on that, so even without the cab having an arcade perfect port at my fingertips is still a blast!

By the way in your friends video he says the 32x port isn't arcade perfect unless I heard it wrong....like....what? I don't think the 32x version could possibly be any more arcade perfect!

Afterburner arcade:

Afterburner 32x:

Obviously this guy recorded the 32x play through composite. I could do a nice super clean s-video capture if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 12:11 am

Yeah some arcade games were just unforgivingly difficult, they were made to rob your money haha Smile

I just listened back through it he said the Saturn version is more smoother than the 32X then he said and look it's arcade perfect, so I guess he thinks it is a better port.

Wow I'm blown away by how amazing the 32x port looks and runs, the playability looks spot on!, I think it's smoother than the Saturn actually. Yeah I would be interested in seeing it.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:24 am

I already recorded a quick game and it looks and sounds @#%%ing amazing...it completely blows away that 32x video I just posted. My recording is so good I'm uploading it now and hoping I can post it before I fall asleep. And I think your friend is on crack the 32x port is arcade perfect and then some.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 am

Here you go....Afterburner 32x in glorious s-video and stereo sound

*edit*

I love you sega thumbs up

Still not as cool as their cabs from the 80s but definitely fun looking. Who doesn't love a video game that you can actually ride?!
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:14 am

@#%%ing hell!! glorious indeed!!!
Back to top Go down
ProD1gy84

ProD1gy84

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 7:27 am

So cool... only in japan? Would be nice to try Storm-G Smile
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 8:50 am

ProD1gy84 wrote:
So cool... only in japan? Would be nice to try Storm-G Smile

That one storm-g video clearly states it's in a mall un dubai...where people have a lot of money apparently. So....2 places in the world have it?
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 4:35 pm

[quote="glenn101"]Yeah some arcade games were just unforgivingly difficult, they were made to rob your money haha Smile

a lot of arcade pcbs you can find difficulty chips for.

one i can think of is the neo geo universe bios.

Some games are just impossibly hard even when the pcb is set to the easiest difficulty.

But then again thats what the credit button is for. I put one on my cabinet, but i also have a switch to turn it off and use the coin door instead.

that strikers 1945 i just sold was supposed to be for vertical games since i already have a cabinet for horizontal ones. But that thing took 3 big people to move and i didnt want to move it again. the guy got a deal on it.

Back to top Go down
Grambo

Grambo

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 4:55 pm

mvsfan wrote:

The Universe Bios has its different methods to set difficulty, yes, but it's the game's Soft DIP settings that determine this. You can still set Soft DIP settings and change difficulties without one.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Grambo wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

The Universe Bios has its different methods to set difficulty, yes, but it's the game's Soft DIP settings that determine this. You can still set Soft DIP settings and change difficulties without one.

Ive got an mv6f i used to run in a cabinet with the unibios in it. It stopped working a while back though and just goes to the crosshatch pattern now.

id like to get some pictures up soon of my arcade project, but its been sitting for a while and i need to make sure theres no bugs or lizards that got into it before i turn it on.

I had a pc sitting out in the garage for a while that i brought in and turned on one day and it started throwing sparks across the floor because a lizard had gotten into the power supply. scared the S*($ out of me. unfortunately i dont have room to keep everything in the house like i would like to.

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Btw, drakon i was recently in an arcade in south carolina and they had an updated pedestal cabinet with a huge monitor and an updated frogger game in it.

I thought that one was really cool.

and i always liked enclosed sit-down cabinets. they really got you into the game because you didnt hear the noise from the other games as much.

they didnt have much else there though i found interesting besides the usual skee ball and pool tables.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 10:39 pm

I actually like hearing noise from other cabs, that's part of the arcade experience for me.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Drakon wrote:
I actually like hearing noise from other cabs, that's part of the arcade experience for me.

unless they had the game you wanted to play turned down while the one next to it was way loud.

I want to get more machines eventually and kinda have a small corner of a room as an arcade.

I was going to build that strikers up, but i already moved it once and havent touched it since, havent had the $ for another monitor and i dont like original ones anymore because they fail constantly. not that it worked. it didnt. it wasnt worth moving again. i hate to see it go though.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:05 pm

I know people who have that they have like 6 or so machines in their apartments.  I'm fine with my single tv, sound system, and av selector box. If I really feel like having the "true arcade experience" I built myself a supergun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extreme arcade cabinets.   Extreme arcade cabinets. Empty

Back to top Go down

Extreme arcade cabinets.
Page 1 of 1