Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
glenn101
glenn101

Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah it is an awesome game. I don't own the PCB, I just played it on mame software and thought it was awesome.

I'll try and mention more common awesome arcade games that aren't so hard to find haha. In all seriousness though, there are so many hidden arcade gems out there - just need to find them.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:03 pm

glenn101 wrote:
Yeah it is an awesome game. I don't own the PCB, I just played it on mame software and thought it was awesome.

I'll try and mention more common awesome arcade games that aren't so hard to find haha. In all seriousness though, there are so many hidden arcade gems out there - just need to find them.

I almost don't like discovering new awesome arcade games because then I want to buy the actual pcb which most of the time is next to impossible to do...
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 pm

I agree... Ah if only they were easier to obtain...
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Hmm interesting. This game is for the Neo Geo, a SHMUP by the name of Andro Dunos. This is an excellent east-west type shooter, great sound, nice graphics, interesting power-up system, good replayability - it's a solid game. I also noticed it was on Ebay so I thought I might mention it.

Last edited by glenn101 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:17 pm

glenn101 wrote:
Hmm interesting. This game is for the Neo Geo, a SHMUP by the name of Andro Dunos. This is an excellent east-west type shooter, great sound, interesting power-up system, good replayability - it's a solid game. I also noticed it was on Ebay so I thought I might mention it.

east west haha. It's called yoko or horizontal. My favourite horizontal scrolling shmup is still progear (yay cave haha)
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 pm

I call it that from habbit, my dad always classes them like that. I guess it's just a synonym in the form of a phrase for horizontal haha.

Ah yes Progear, I haven't played that one much. Again I don't own the PCB but I might give it another try later.

Thundercross (JAP VERSION ONLY!!!!!!! The US version does not do this game justice!!) is one of my favorite HORIZONTAL (Very Happy) SHMPs, it has an insane power-up system. It is similar to gradius in that you have options around your ship, in this game you can have up to 4 - 2 on each side with 3 different standard projectiles to choose from. One is a vulcan - automatic fire basically, another is a twin laser - one bullet front and back, and the other is this awesome boomerang type weapon that bounces around the screen. Then on top of this after you have upgraded the 3 said options to max with one of the weapon types you get a selection of much more powerful projectiles to select which have limited use but once you run out you return to your previous weapon state. These are massive lasers - one being shot from each cannon, a flame-thrower from each cannon and a napalm blast from each cannon. This game is so much fun to play, even better with a friend. The music is awesome too!

Quite a nice review of it below, also compares the US version:

http://www.shmups.com/reviews/thundercross/index.html
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:34 pm

But....but....but.......it's not cave!!!!!

*edit*

actually thunder cross looks like r-type to me
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 2:16 am

I'm still discovering Cave games really, they are very fun games from what I've played.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 4:41 pm

glenn101 wrote:
I'm still discovering Cave games really, they are very fun games from what I've played.

The newer ones aren't as good as some of the older ones but they're still enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. I didn't get to play Progear as it wasn't on my mame system. I instead tried another Cave shooter by the name - ESP Ra. De.

I was impressed by the game, I like the control system having one button for a rapid fire another for a burst type projectile and the third for a barrier system. The game is very easy to start with but it does get quite challenging near the end.

Although there was significant slow-down at parts, but that's due to emulation so it's expected. But despite that it is definitely a good game. It would be great to play on original hardware for the true experience.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 pm

glenn101 wrote:
Yeah, I thought that might be the case. I didn't get to play Progear as it wasn't on my mame system. I instead tried another Cave shooter by the name - ESP Ra. De.

I was impressed by the game, I like the control system having one button for a rapid fire another for a burst type projectile and the third for a barrier system. The game is very easy to start with but it does get quite challenging near the end.

Although there was significant slow-down at parts, but that's due to emulation so it's expected. But despite that it is definitely a good game. It would be great to play on original hardware for the true experience.

I've played an actual esprade pcb but I much prefer the sequel espgaluda. Espgaluda has a perfect port for the ps2
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 am

Cool, I haven't played that one. I'll be sure to check that out on the PS2
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:21 am

glenn101 wrote:
Cool, I haven't played that one. I'll be sure to check that out on the PS2

While you're at it also check out mushihimesama for the ps2. The other cave game ported to the ps2 is dodonpachi daioujou. DDP doj is fun but balls hard.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 am

Will do. That's good, I like a challenging shooter (hence why I like irem heh) Smile
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 1:45 am

glenn101 wrote:
Will do. That's good, I like a challenging shooter (hence why I like irem heh) Smile

That's funny because I like irem but I think their games are too challenging (all of them). Even ninja baseball is too difficult.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 3:08 am

Haha yes they are challenging. I've managed to finish all their shooter games except for one - image fight. That game is the hardest vertical shooter I've ever played to try and finish with continues.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:42 am

glenn101 wrote:
Haha yes they are challenging. I've managed to finish all their shooter games except for one - image fight. That game is the hardest vertical shooter I've ever played to try and finish with continues.

*shrug* just use continues. There's no way I'd dream of trying to clear dragon breed without continues.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:13 pm

What I meant was that it's the only irem vertical shooter game that still with the aid of continues I can't finish.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 pm

glenn101 wrote:
What I meant was that it's the only irem vertical shooter game that still with the aid of continues I can't finish.

Really you can't clear it even when continue whoring? I never tried clearing it maybe I should give it a go.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 3:12 am

Give it a go, it really is a challenge. It might be okay on easy, I've always tried to beat it on normal difficulty setting I think.

I'll try it again tonight, see how I go. Without autofire your hands get so sore!! Especially towards the end of the game where you literally have to put your ship right next to the enemy and fire like hell if you want any chance of destroying them.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:19 am

glenn101 wrote:
Give it a go, it really is a challenge. It might be okay on easy, I've always tried to beat it on normal difficulty setting I think.

I'll try it again tonight, see how I go. Without autofire your hands get so sore!! Especially towards the end of the game where you literally have to put your ship right next to the enemy and fire like hell if you want any chance of destroying them.

Damn I hate 80s games (before the invention of autofire) when the enemies take hundreds of hits to kill. I'd probably stick it on easy and if I manage to clear that then go to normal. Another funny thing is sticking my dragon breed pcb to "very easy" actually is wrong it becomes very hard. Even the emulated mame dragon breed being set to "very easy" makes it very hard. I always thought that was kind of funny.

I think the most popular non auto fire game (not the best, just the one that got the most attention) was raiden.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:00 pm

I can't believe it but I finished Image Fight last night on normal. I'm not sure if you've played it or how long since the last time you did, but basically if you get above 90% enemy destruction across the first 5 stages you avoid the "penalty area". That penalty area is the one I really struggled with, it is the most insane stage you will ever see in any irem shooter. Fortunately for me, for the first time I got EXACTLY 90% I couldn't believe it. The stages that followed were still challenging, and the last boss was interesting, there was an interesting strategy to defeating him.

That is hilarious that very easy converts to very hard, they must have put that in their for a laugh. I can't actually remember that, when I was younger dad just used to play around with all the dip switches and settings.

Yeah I agree about the most popular autofire game.

I also played through another favorite of mine - Splatterhouse by Namco - it is such a different Namco game and oh so awesome. If I had only one game I could recommend that you play through at least once, it would be that game. The sound effects especially and also the soundtrack set up one of the best atmosphere's I've seen in an arcade game, the graphics and animations are top notch too. If you do play it, turn the speakers up load, especially the bass for stage 7!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:14 pm

splatterhouse was released on many systems which version are you thinking of?
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Arcade.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:16 pm

glenn101 wrote:
Arcade.

I'm gonna have to add it to the 4000 other games you suggest I try when I find the time (doing modding research takes up a lot of my time doh )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)   Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your list of favourite video games (sorted by system)
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next