A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Sun May 26, 2013 9:53 pm

I didnt realize the regulator was so hot until i accidentally touched the heatsink and it burned me a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Sun May 26, 2013 9:59 pm

yeah, if all else fails - grab another nes.

its not like i only have 1.

i wanted to see exactly how bad the 11 would be if i wired it back up using what ive learned since i first wired it.

just for good measure, once i build that voltage divider (i dont have the resistors) and it stops rolling (hopefully)

it seems like the only electronics parts place locally is radio shack and they never have shit i need, but ill look for the resistors tomorrow.

Im going to sheild the ppu/cpu.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Sun May 26, 2013 10:04 pm

My 05-03 ppu will be built on an 07 nes revision. I already have it and all the parts to build the address line circuit, +1881 +amp.

btw, whats that jumper for on bakus new circuit? thats the only thing i didnt quite understand.

is that just to switch between an rc2c03 and and rc2c05?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Mon May 27, 2013 12:11 am

mvsfan wrote:
I didnt realize the regulator was so hot until i accidentally touched the heatsink and it burned me a bit.

The toaster nes heatsink is really small, and sorry to burst your bubble but it's supposed to get really hot, it's a heatsink.

The jumper I believe is to switch between the 05 / 03 series ppus and the regular rp2c03b.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Mon May 27, 2013 10:16 am

I know its supposed to get hot, but now its about 2/3 as hot as it was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Mon May 27, 2013 11:55 am

im gonna play with this voltage divider if i can find the resistors today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Mon May 27, 2013 4:16 pm

mvsfan wrote:
I know its supposed to get hot, but now its about 2/3 as hot as it was.

Really? That's odd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Mon May 27, 2013 7:07 pm

voltage divider didnt work. Nothing melted down, but it turns my screen into what it looks like with no lm1881 hooked up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Mon May 27, 2013 8:56 pm

i just got some interesting results with the sync.

I built a voltage divider with 1 200 ohm resistor to ground, and a 1k pot on the positive input leg of the voltage divider.

If i add resistance, the picture will roll faster until it goes out to diagonal black lines.

if i take away resistance down to zero, the picture slowly rolls like its been doing.

I now believe that my component encoder, is looking for 5v on sync, not 4.5 that im getting.

so how would i Increase it from 4.5 to 5?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Mon May 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Ive got another lm1881 on order and im going to try that next.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Mon May 27, 2013 9:28 pm

thanks for suggesting that voltage divider, drakon. I believe i now know whats wrong with the sync. not enough voltage OUT. Bad 1881???


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Mon May 27, 2013 11:19 pm

You didn't mention you're using a component encoder. I have one rgb to component video adapter that won't work with composite sync but it works with composite video like regular rgb tvs. I'm sure I could hack the encoder to feed it straight sync I just never bothered looking at the pcb. Unfortunately with a rgb nes you'd need to wire up a video encoder to get composite video.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 am

Drakon wrote:
You didn't mention you're using a component encoder. I have one rgb to component video adapter that won't work with composite sync but it works with composite video like regular rgb tvs. I'm sure I could hack the encoder to feed it straight sync I just never bothered looking at the pcb. Unfortunately with a rgb nes you'd need to wire up a video encoder to get composite video.

thats not it either. Im using raw c-sync on my snes and genesis. They both work fine with this encoder. I really think its a voltage issue since i played around with that adjustable voltage divider.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 am

mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:
You didn't mention you're using a component encoder. I have one rgb to component video adapter that won't work with composite sync but it works with composite video like regular rgb tvs. I'm sure I could hack the encoder to feed it straight sync I just never bothered looking at the pcb. Unfortunately with a rgb nes you'd need to wire up a video encoder to get composite video.

thats not it either. Im using raw c-sync on my snes and genesis. They both work fine with this encoder. I really think its a voltage issue since i played around with that adjustable voltage divider.

the lower the voltage, the worse the picture gets until it just goes out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 am

mvsfan wrote:
mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:
You didn't mention you're using a component encoder. I have one rgb to component video adapter that won't work with composite sync but it works with composite video like regular rgb tvs. I'm sure I could hack the encoder to feed it straight sync I just never bothered looking at the pcb. Unfortunately with a rgb nes you'd need to wire up a video encoder to get composite video.

thats not it either. Im using raw c-sync on my snes and genesis. They both work fine with this encoder. I really think its a voltage issue since i played around with that adjustable voltage divider.

the lower the voltage, the worse the picture gets until it just goes out.


i think im going to measure the voltage on sync on my snes and see what its putting out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Tue May 28, 2013 11:18 am

i cant wait until the new lm1881 gets here, so i can eliminate it as the problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Tue May 28, 2013 11:38 am

to eliminate the ppu as a possible source of this problem i swapped it with an rc2c04 and it rolls too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Tue May 28, 2013 11:40 am

on a side note - ive read that mike tysons punch out doesnt work right on an rgb ppu and i was trying to play it yesterday and sure enough the graphics are corrupted.

do you have any problems with this game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Tue May 28, 2013 8:54 pm

well, i didnt get my 1881 in today so i guess this project is on hold until i do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Thu May 30, 2013 5:58 pm

the new 1881 didnt change a thing. also tried adjusting the pots in my component converter that didnt do anything either.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Thu May 30, 2013 5:59 pm

looks like i just might have to find a way to boost the voltage on sync.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Thu May 30, 2013 6:02 pm

what else could be going on with it? i cant think of a damn thing i havent checked or changed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Run sync into where the nes composite video is fed from the regular and tap it at the video out rca jack. That will amp it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm

im doing that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm

mvsfan wrote:
im doing that.


its been like that for a while now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal   

Back to top Go down
 
RGB NES / Famicom and jailbar removal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Removal of ban (Bill Andrews)
» [Denied]Removal of ban Thorn.
» Blood Heal Timer
» Hot Toys Battery Leakage
» Stripping plastic models of paint.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Projects / Showcase :: Works in Progress-
Jump to: