Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
okame

Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console Empty
PostSubject: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 6:20 pm

I had an idea about having a mod made to turn my Famicom Disk System into a smaller, travel sized Twin Famicom. I have a Twin Famicom, but it's too big. Besides, I need it for creating Famicom & FDS ROMs to translate, once I can figured out how to use a ROM editor. I can buy an FDS to PC adapter online, so that shouldn't be a problem. How much would that cost if I got a cheap 'as is' Famicom online first? I figure if 1980's Sharp can do it, it should be a snap for someone on this forum! Also, if you could paint the dark red top and bottom of the console black, that would be an added plus!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 pm

okame wrote:
I had an idea about having a mod made to turn my Famicom Disk System into a smaller, travel sized Twin Famicom. I have a Twin Famicom, but it's too big. Besides, I need it for creating Famicom & FDS ROMs to translate, once I can figured out how to use a ROM editor. I can buy an FDS to PC adapter online, so that shouldn't be a problem. How much would that cost if I got a cheap 'as is' Famicom online first? I figure if 1980's Sharp can do it, it should be a snap for someone on this forum! Also, if you could paint the dark red top and bottom of the console black, that would be an added plus!

Someone on this forum to do what?
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Grambo

Grambo

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 pm

You want a small FDS/Famicom all in one unit?
That seems like quite the endeavour.
Back to top Go down
okame

PostSubject: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:12 am

I doesn't if you break it down to the following steps:
1) Get A Twin Famicom, to see how Sharp did it with a officially licensed Nintendo Famicom/FDS system. CHECK. Looking at it right now!
2) Swap a broken FDS drive for one from a working FDS console without a power adapter or RAM cart. CHECK. Took a few tries to get it right, but it works!
3) Find a MGD1 to PC Link Cable online, thereby realizing that as long as your PC can handle Windows 7 and all that wrong with it is The Blu Screen Of Death, you can have a working ROM reader that lets you make your own FDS ROM files. CHECK. Only $35 + shipping.
4) See that the battery compartment on the FDS is big enough to handle a Famicom slot. CHECK. Just need to find a cheap Famicom/Famiclone console online.
5) Get the FDS drive fixed, so that the console isn't a glorified paperweight anymore. CHECK. Getting it fixed next month.

See? Not that hard. I did the first three steps, so the rest is just a case of time and money. I have plenty of time to get the money. The mod isn't hard, it just isn't done too often. Thing is, a LOT of things I do aren't done too often! It's kinda my thing.
Back to top Go down
okame

PostSubject: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:19 am

I was lucky enough to get an old NES console today. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I was watching The Ben Heck Show on You Tube a few weeks ago, and he made a automatic front loading NES. Thing is, when he took out the 'toaster' tray that the carts go in, what was left looked like it would fit a top loading slot, so change of plans. Instead of adding a Famicom slot to the FDS, how about modding the NES to accept a top loading Famicom slot, with a removed lock out chip, then the FDS circuit board added to get an FDS drive in the front of an NES system, where the cart cover goes? The case is bigger, so more room to mod. You can even keep the FDS case! I never want to see it again! If I got my FDS drive fixed & bought the Famicom cart slot, how much to fix the NES, mod the case, and add the Famicom cart slot? Also, you might need a few extra part to make the NES a Famicom system, all of which I'd pay for first. ANYTHING to keep the mod costs down!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 7:23 pm

So you want to install a famiclone into a fds and attach it?
Back to top Go down
okame

PostSubject: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 1:35 am

That was the original plan, yes. But then I realized I'd have to buy NES controller ports or extension wires, to have a way to use NES controllers on the console. Then someone gave me a used NES system, and the plan changed. If someone changed the input slot of the NES toaster tray to have a top loader Famicom pin slot on it, would that make it able to play Famicom games, as long as the lockout chip is disabled? If so, there's the Famicom half of my system. Then, would the Famicom NES be compatible with the FDS circuit board, like the Famicom one was when Sharp decided to make the Twin Famicom? That way, it's still smaller, but it still LOOKS like an old school NES! I just need to know if it could work, and if so, if the Famicom NES mod would be compatible with the FDS? I need to know if it's possible before I get my hopes up and start saving money to pay for the mod!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:05 am

It's already been done.
Back to top Go down
okame

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console     Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Are you talking about the Twin Famicom? If so, I'm looking at mine right now. It's nice and all, but it's not very travel friendly. If you mean the mod, by whom? If there's a site or thread about it somewhere, links please! Mods aren't always about originality. I want to do this not just because I want to, but also because I NEED to! I can't get the site of a Twin Famicom NES mod out of my head. Actually, the mod I have in my head is the NES 3, an NES top loading slot for US and PAL games, a Famicom one, and an FDS drive for the disks. All the Nintendo game options in one system! Since I've been told that mod would be too pricey, one step at a time. Although, if I could mod a Horeleg NES Game Key by turning the PAL slot into a Famicom one, and add it directly to the tray slot on an NES, I'd be a step closer. Would THAT work for what I need it to, and STILL let me add the FDS drive? I figure if I could get the Game Key mod done first, then send off my FDS and broken NES console, I might be able to spend the same money, but give myself time off between mods to save up the cash.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm talking about wiring a famicom slot into a toaster and having a fds run on it (not internally externally). I forget where I found it, try google.

Really I don't get the excitement of a dual slot system. Just get a famicom and the everdrive n8 and you can play all your nes and famicom favourites with just a single slot.
Back to top Go down
okame

PostSubject: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 am

Saw the You Tube Video you were taking about. That was just about someone adding a few things for Famicom audio, and wiring a Famicom cart slot to the back of his NES console. Close, but not close enough. My idea's a little bit different. As for a Flash cart, you're not the first to suggest it. I want the ORIGINAL carts, so that I can swap one for another, and because even ROMs get glitchy after a while. Besides, there are some Famicom game that don't even have the JAPANESE ROM available online! Doki Doki Panic's almost impossible to find a translation patch for, and the search for the Japanese Famicom ROM file took me half a day to find. I'm the kind of person who needs to see something to use it. That's why I bought the Doki Doki FDS disk online. I make sure I have at least 2 controllers or joysticks for every console I have, because I need to have the 2nd player right there next to me.

I guess it's a sign of my age, but I got used to multiplayer games with the NES, Atari 2600, and Commodore 64. I find that the online multiplayer mode games are a little bit to detached for me, so I usually only play the one player option on those type of games. Besides, my voice sounds horrible over a microphone headset. That, and it gives me bad Telemarketing flashbacks from the 3 centers I worked at!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Let me get this straight....you want to play the original cartridges....but you want to play an english translation of a japanese game?
Back to top Go down
okame

PostSubject: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't have to make sense! The games sure don't!
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Drakon wrote:
Let me get this straight....you want to play the original cartridges....but you want to play an english translation of a japanese game?

Sonic and knuckles lock - on technology i guess. :P

actually it would be kinda cool if someone could build an adapter that runs ips patches on the fly.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm

mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:

Sonic and knuckles lock - on technology i guess. :P

actually it would be kinda cool if someone could build an adapter that runs ips patches on the fly.

Like...some sort of a....flash cart?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console    Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console Empty

Back to top Go down

Need A Famicom Pin Slot Mod For My FDS Console
Page 1 of 1