A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 My toaster commission for: mvsfan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Mvsfan tried and failed many times at getting his rgb toaster going so he sent it to me.  I got it going.





Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Got the scart connector and component video going:





*edit*

Re-assembled pic:



I didn't wire up 5v or audio to the scart port.  I left wires for those connected and labelled and safely glued to secure spots.  Mvsfan can wire this thing however he likes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Drakon wrote:
Got the scart connector and component video going:





*edit*

Re-assembled pic:



I didn't wire up 5v or audio to the scart port.  I left wires for those connected and labelled and safely glued to secure spots.  Mvsfan can wire this thing however he likes.

btw, I finally got a good s-video cable that doesnt display the checkerboard pattern. I had to get one so i could use my snes without the scart converter.

But ive noticed something. my 1-chip looks blurry over s-video.

for the heck of it, you might want to try hooking up one of your 1-chips to this component converter and see if the picture is noticiably sharper.

also, thanks so much, Drakon for getting this going.

btw, how much trouble is it to hook up the audio through the scart port? i didnt spend much time on it but also couldnt get the sound to work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:49 pm

When the system came you had the audio output rca jack wired into the scart port.  You mailed me a passthrough device that plugs into the scart socket and has audio rca jacks on it.  If you're going to get audio through a rca jack...why not just plug your rca cable into the jack built into your toaster that you tapped audio from?

Also you didn't have sync ground wired up, which is probably why your sync didn't work.  I didn't even bother trying to use your amp / lm1881n circuit stuff was soldered too closely there easily could have been shorts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Grambo

avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2013-01-30
Age : 30
Location : Saskatchewan, Canada

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Drakon wrote:
Also you didn't have sync ground wired up, which is probably why your sync didn't work.
Lol. I remember suggesting this at least twice.

Glad to see your NES all done up and working well, mvsfan. I'll bet you're excited to get playing this thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Grambo wrote:
Drakon wrote:
Also you didn't have sync ground wired up, which is probably why your sync didn't work.
Lol. I remember suggesting this at least twice.

Glad to see your NES all done up and working well, mvsfan. I'll bet you're excited to get playing this thing.

I wouldn't be, it's a nes-cpu-11 which in my guide is listed as having worse jailbars than other revision.  The socket install wasn't so terrible it has a nice death grip on the ppu. This thing has far less jailbars than the last nes-cpu-11 I worked on but it's still not as good as my av famicom / twin / etc etc. Perhaps relocating the entire ppu socket and using a f-labo would make this thing look just as good but that's a lot of extra work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Grambo wrote:
Drakon wrote:
Also you didn't have sync ground wired up, which is probably why your sync didn't work.
Lol. I remember suggesting this at least twice.

Glad to see your NES all done up and working well, mvsfan. I'll bet you're excited to get playing this thing.

thanks, Grambo i am just as glad that it is done. I cant wait to play games on it.

i messed with this for about 8 months.

yeah, drakon i could just hook up audio to the rca on the toaster. youve done enough with it, thanks so much for all your work.
now in the future in case i try to do this again, what pins did you connect the sync ground to? i had tried several times to ground that pin but it didnt work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:30 pm

mvsfan wrote:
Grambo wrote:
Drakon wrote:
Also you didn't have sync ground wired up, which is probably why your sync didn't work.
Lol. I remember suggesting this at least twice.

Glad to see your NES all done up and working well, mvsfan. I'll bet you're excited to get playing this thing.

thanks, Grambo i am just as glad that it is done. I cant wait to play games on it.

i messed with this for about 8 months.

yeah, drakon i could just hook up audio to the rca on the toaster. youve done enough with it, thanks so much for all your work.
now in the future in case i try to do this again, what pins did you connect the sync ground to? i had tried several times to ground that pin but it didnt work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

"Pin 17 Composite video ground (pin 19 & 20 ground) "

Pin 17 is your sync ground.  I couldn't remember if pin 19 or 20 is the right one for sync so I just wired them both to sync.  In scart there actually is no sync pin, "composite video" is the pin that your tv uses to get sync from in scart.  In a rgb tv sync is stripped from the composite video signal using something like a lm1881n circuit.  I hate scart.

I can't believe you messed with this for 8 months. It's a lot cheaper hiring one of us than spending 8 months trying to figure it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:46 pm

[quote="Drakon"]
mvsfan wrote:
Grambo wrote:
Drakon wrote:
Also you didn't have sync ground wired up, which is probably why your sync didn't work.
Lol. I remember suggesting this at least twice.

Glad to see your NES all done up and working well, mvsfan. I'll bet you're excited to get playing this thing.

thanks, Grambo i am just as glad that it is done. I cant wait to play games on it.

i messed with this for about 8 months.

yeah, drakon i could just hook up audio to the rca on the toaster. youve done enough with it, thanks so much for all your work.
now in the future in case i try to do this again, what pins did you connect the sync ground to? i had tried several times to ground that pin but it didnt work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

"Pin 17 Composite video ground (pin 19 & 20 ground) "

Pin 17 is your sync ground.  I couldn't remember if pin 19 or 20 is the right one for sync so I just wired them both to sync.  In scart there actually is no sync pin, "composite video" is the pin that your tv uses to get sync from in scart.  In a rgb tv sync is stripped from the composite video signal using something like a lm1881n circuit.  I hate scart.

I can't believe you messed with this for 8 months. It's a lot cheaper hiring one of us than spending 8 months trying to figure it out.[/quote

I dont like to leave a project unfinished or failed. i wanted to do it myself.

but i finally realized that it just wasnt going to work.

btw, where did you find that black felt tape to stick underneath the ppu pins? i had looked for it but didnt know what it was called.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:28 pm

...electrical tape



It's designed for anything that has electricity since it's non conductive.  Hence the name.  You can literally find it anywhere, supermarkets, variety stores, hardware stores, china town.

I guess if anything you dinking around with the system for 8 months saved you a little money from getting me to build the system. from the start up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Drakon wrote:
...electrical tape



It's designed for anything that has electricity since it's non conductive.  Hence the name.  You can literally find it anywhere, supermarkets, variety stores, hardware stores, china town.

I guess if anything you dinking around with the system for 8 months saved you a little money from getting me to build the system. from the start up.

i know about electrical tape. i just figured you used something special cause electrical tape glue tends to fall apart after a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 pm

mvsfan wrote:
i know about electrical tape. i just figured you used something special cause electrical tape glue tends to fall apart after a while.

Well if you worry about it sliding out I guess you can glue it down a little.  Normally I lay down the electrical tape before I insert and solder in the socket.  Doing it that way the force of the socket pushing down is more than enough to keep the tape in place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 am

mvsfan, I am guessing you were running audio through the scart socket before for use with the CVS287 and a scart switch? If you are wanting to do that you just bridge the audio left and right pins on the scart socket (pins 1 and 2) and run the mono sound to one of them. The ground pin for the audio is between the left and right pins (pin 4), you can just wire that to the edge of the nes pcb. I use a scart switch setup as well. Ditch the passthrough device if you are doing this though, they suck ass. Install a couple rca jacks in the CVS287, thats what I did and it works great. Basically consoles go to scart switch, the switch goes to the CVS287, then audio and component video come out of the cvs287 to the tv and stereo receiver. Works like a charm in my setup.

Here is a picture I found out there of where to wire audio inside the CVS287

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:03 am

Since I got it running and mvsfan is a fairly nice person to work with I decided to redo the wiring for maximum jailbar reduction:





The ths7314 amp inputs are soldered directly to the pins of the ppu socket, that's as close as physically possible.  Shortening the distance even that small amount noticeably improved the jailbars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Drakon
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:38 am

THANKS!

ok, i finally got some time. Thanks for posting the video of the nes working with the capture card and a big thanks for re-wiring it.

I like how this console looks. in the vid, and i cant wait to use it.

In the mean time while i wait i will have my gameboy player and a castlevania ive never played - aria of sorrow that is if i find time to play it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 am

ive been playing this thing for a while now and im happy with it.
in the future, i may build another one on a NES-CPU-07.

right now im trying to trade some other stuff to a guy on craigslist for an x-rgb-2 i want.

if you ever want to trade anything else im open to it.

so... the problem with the one i had built was the sync ground not being hooked up.

I had checked that whole amp out with an ohm meter and did not detect any shorts in it.

also, i had bought that ppu socket at radio shack i noticed that some of the sockets you order have ridicusouly thin pins on them and dont grip good. the ones that the shack sells are better.

btw, do you still have that amp? i was hoping to get it back with the nes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:02 am

Guest wrote:
mvsfan, I am guessing you were running audio through the scart socket before for use with the CVS287 and a scart switch? If you are wanting to do that you just bridge the audio left and right pins on the scart socket (pins 1 and 2) and run the mono sound to one of them. The ground pin for the audio is between the left and right pins (pin 4), you can just wire that to the edge of the nes pcb. I use a scart switch setup as well. Ditch the passthrough device if you are doing this though, they suck ass. Install a couple rca jacks in the CVS287, thats what I did and it works great. Basically consoles go to scart switch, the switch goes to the CVS287, then audio and component video come out of the cvs287 to the tv and stereo receiver. Works like a charm in my setup.

Here is a picture I found out there of where to wire audio inside the CVS287

thanks, skips. i know now why i couldnt get audio working. Every scart diagram i look at says something different about the audio.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 pm

mvsfan wrote:
ive been playing this thing for a while now and im happy with it.
in the future, i may build another one on a NES-CPU-07.

right now im trying to trade some other stuff to a guy on craigslist for an x-rgb-2 i want.

if you ever want to trade anything else im open to it.

so... the problem with the one i had built was the sync ground not being hooked up.

I had checked that whole amp out with an ohm meter and did not detect any shorts in it.

also, i had bought that ppu socket at radio shack i noticed that some of the sockets you order have ridicusouly thin pins on them and dont grip good. the ones that the shack sells are better.

btw, do you still have that amp? i was hoping to get it back with the nes.
thanks, Drakon!



Back to top Go down
View user profile
mvsfan



Posts : 571
Join date : 2012-03-04

PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:42 pm

mvsfan wrote:
mvsfan wrote:
ive been playing this thing for a while now and im happy with it.
in the future, i may build another one on a NES-CPU-07.

right now im trying to trade some other stuff to a guy on craigslist for an x-rgb-2 i want.

if you ever want to trade anything else im open to it.

so... the problem with the one i had built was the sync ground not being hooked up.

I had checked that whole amp out with an ohm meter and did not detect any shorts in it.

also, i had bought that ppu socket at radio shack i noticed that some of the sockets you order have ridicusouly thin pins on them and dont grip good. the ones that the shack sells are better.

btw, do you still have that amp? i was hoping to get it back with the nes.
thanks, Drakon!



that second picture is from castlevania 2. I dont see issues with it yet. Everything seems to look fine. I guess the only way to know is to beat this game again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: My toaster commission for: mvsfan   

Back to top Go down
 
My toaster commission for: mvsfan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The Cabana Art Shop [Commission holders need to check this!]
» Poptarts VS. Toaster Strudels
» Toaster's Tourney(Finished!)
» Art Theft - JollyJack's Art (possibly taking commissions for it as well)
» Cygnar Commission

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Projects / Showcase :: Works in Progress-
Jump to: