Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Flatscreen tv repair.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mvsfan

Flatscreen tv repair. Empty
PostSubject: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 7:56 am

Got a tv for free. It kept blowing the main fuse. I checked the fuses and it turned out that the onesthe guy was using and had given me was a 2A fast acting fuse so i checked and the tv is calling for a 4A slow blow fuse. I put one of those in and now the main fuse is holding. So now ive got a working tv with sound and no backlight.

I checked f-100 and f-300 on the backlight inverter board, and f-100 was blown. I had read in a thread that if one of those fuses is blown its probably an internally shorted mosfet chip. So i replaced the fuse at f-100 with the same type of fuse, plugged in the tv, switched it on, and one of the mosfets blew its top off.

Great! so now i knew which mosfet was shorted. i was just hoping that nothing else blew too.

so now ive ordered some 4614 mosfets off ebay and i will post my results soon.

after waiting for nearly 2 weeks i got the mosfets in for this tv. ill be repairing it soon hopefully.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 5:32 pm

mvsfan wrote:
Got a tv for free. It kept blowing the main fuse. I checked the fuses and it turned out that the onesthe guy was using and had given me was a 2A fast acting fuse so i checked and the tv is calling for a 4A slow blow fuse. I put one of those in and now the main fuse is holding. So now ive got a working tv with sound and no backlight.

I checked f-100 and f-300 on the backlight inverter board, and f-100 was blown. I had read in a thread that if one of those fuses is blown its probably an internally shorted mosfet chip. So i replaced the fuse at f-100 with the same type of fuse, plugged in the tv, switched it on, and one of the mosfets blew its top off.

Great! so now i knew which mosfet was shorted. i was just hoping that nothing else blew too.

so now ive ordered some 4614 mosfets off ebay and i will post my results soon.

after waiting for nearly 2 weeks i got the mosfets in for this tv. ill be repairing it soon hopefully.
cost - this tv is a failure. I replaced the burned out mosfet and the fuse, but there is some other component that is shorted on the inverter board that is roasting the mosfet. i dont want to find it because......

i dont want to spend another nickel on this tv it doesnt have a Vga or dvi port on it.

ill just sell it for parts.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Oh well was worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 8:02 am

ive got an rgb to vga board im dying to try out and that tv just wouldnt do.

i see no need to spend anymore on it when it doesnt have vga. I was going to use it for an extra tv in my kitchen but id rather sink the money into one that has what i want

all this hdmi only junk thats coming out sucks.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Word. My CRT I bought in like 2001 and I still use it today.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:47 am

i just want to try messing with a flatscreen. I saw a newly designed SLG that looks compelling from the screenshots.
Back to top Go down
Grambo

Grambo

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 1:30 pm

What consoles are you wanting to connect to your flatscreen? Framemeister is amazing for anything 240p. Getting a TV with low latency is essential too. Getting a good picture (comparible to a good CRT) on a flatscreen can be a daunting task.

You've read fudoh's guide, yes? http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

What's this new scan line generator you speak of?
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 5:39 am

Grambo wrote:
What consoles are you wanting to connect to your flatscreen? Framemeister is amazing for anything 240p. Getting a TV with low latency is essential too. Getting a good picture (comparible to a good CRT) on a flatscreen can be a daunting task.

You've read fudoh's guide, yes? http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

What's this new scan line generator you speak of?
recently I had a chance to trade my jvc x eye for an xrgb2 but in the end i just couldnt do it. I guess i will get one someday.

This new scanline generator is this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130994651791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Look at the screenshots - the scanlines look good to me they dont look fake. and the price is right.

i talked to the seller who is also the builder and he said he designed them to look more real at 70"% scanlines.

Btw, somewhere in that guide they need to add the joytech Js965 scart switch as being a good one for rgb consoles.

theres no signal loss through it and its built like a tank - your plugs dont fall out of it. and best of all - it has a remote.

I bought one from England and have been using it ever since.

it cost 11.00 for the switch and 65.00 for shipping though and then i had to get a U.S. power supply for it.

Joytech also makes a js965c component switch thats 1 in 7 out that they sell in the us. I own both of them and they are both good.

also since the js965 only has 4 inputs i have the 3 consoles i use the most on the first 3 inputs and on the 4th input i have a manual 5 port scart switch plugged in so i can switch the 4th input to whatever else i want to play. It works very well and allows me to remotely switch between 4 consoles at a time.
Back to top Go down
Grambo

Grambo

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 8:47 am

Where in the mix are you upscaling and getting H/V sync? I don't think I understand your setup at all.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Grambo wrote:
Where in the mix are you upscaling and getting H/V sync? I don't think I understand your setup at all.
right now im not upscaling at all im using a Crt.

Im planning on using a gbs-8220 rgb to vga board as well as that scanline generator i showed you, when i start messing with flatscreens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flatscreen tv repair.   Flatscreen tv repair. Empty

Back to top Go down

Flatscreen tv repair.
Page 1 of 1