A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Twin famicom repair

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Twin famicom repair   Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 pm

I got a DOA twin famicom from ebay for cheap as a little "challenge" system.  Firing it up basically had nothing happen.  I opened it, gave it a good internal bath (it was full of crud).  Next I socketed some chips on my dev toaster for a little chip testing fun:

I next started desoldering and socketing the main chips on the twin pcb:

Tested the ppu in my toaster, ran, tested the cpu in my toaster, ran, tested the ram chips, didn't run with this one:

Swapped that ram chip with another one and..

The fds drive on this thing is probably never going to work.  I got it to spin but it doesn't read anything.  The p1 controller start button didn't work so I just swapped the pcb with the pcb from an original famicom controller (same pcb) and that fixed the start button.  The p2 control pad down button barely works but the thing is so yellowed and nasty looking it's not even worth repairing.

*edit*

The case after some much needed cleaning. Still doesn't look perfect but a heck of a lot better than before:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Drakon
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Twin famicom repair   Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:36 am

I should also mention that the pcb on this one is different from my other twin (same model and colour).  I guess they revised the pcb.  This earlier pcb the ppu came with a heatsink, and there was a separate crystal to drive the fds chip where my other one the fds chip shares the same clock circuit as everything else.  There's also a wire soldered between a chip and a trace that's not present in my other pcb (didn't investigate what it does).  The power pcb has a different connector than my other one.  Ace's fantastic twin famicom audio mod works great on both pcb revisions:

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Twin famicom repair   Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:27 pm

People on the shmup forum were whining about me using a paint removing heatgun to desolder chips, here's how my work looks after I desoldered the cpu, ppu, and two ram chips and soldered in sockets using my paint remover heatgun:

My heatgun doesn't damage a pcb when used properly.

IC103, 106 and 108 were all full desoldered with a heatgun and then I soldered in precision sockets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twin famicom repair   

Back to top Go down

Twin famicom repair
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1