Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gameboy Player audio improvement mod

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Gameboy Player audio improvement mod Empty
PostSubject: Gameboy Player audio improvement mod   Gameboy Player audio improvement mod EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 11:17 pm

My buddy ace mentioned that the gb player for the gamecube muffles gameboy audio to death.  I tapped the audio traces of the gb player cpu and wired up a low pass filter that ace suggested and it sounds fantastic.  I wired up a toggle switch that toggles between system audio and my bypassed gba audio.  Here's the demo video showing the difference in audio quality between original and improved:

Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Gameboy Player audio improvement mod   Gameboy Player audio improvement mod EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 11:34 am

I had some free time this morning so I took a picture of my gameboy player audio setup:

I tapped system audio from the av port pins and connected them to a header.  The toggle switch switches the rca jacks between gba bypassed audio and main system audio which is how I was able to make this video with real time switching.  These headers are temporary.  Down the road I'll probably attach a better looking connector unless an even better fix comes around.

Last edited by Drakon on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Gameboy Player audio improvement mod   Gameboy Player audio improvement mod EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 11:59 am

Copied from my post on gc-forever:

My buddy ace mentioned the gb player has really muffled audio on the gamecube. I finally noticed the muffle myself so I cracked open the gb player. Thanks to the wonderful nocash documents he mentions the gba cpu pinout which says that the audio lines are pins 6 and 7:

http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm

The gb player pcb has these convenient "test points" where you can solder wires to the traces and tap the lines:

Gameboy Player audio improvement mod OvIYfER

Sound was clear but had a whining noise. Ace told me a lpf that worked for him so I tried it. Both audio lines have a series 470 ohm resistor followed by a 0.01 uf cap to ground. I built the filter and the sound came out perfect. I wired a toggle switch to go between original system audio and my bypassed audio:

Gameboy Player audio improvement mod 0iD0B3m

Here's a video where I'm playing music and switching between the audio sources so you can hear the difference:

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Gameboy Player audio improvement mod   Gameboy Player audio improvement mod EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 12:39 am

Drakon wrote:
Copied from my post on gc-forever:

My buddy ace mentioned the gb player has really muffled audio on the gamecube. I finally noticed the muffle myself so I cracked open the gb player. Thanks to the wonderful nocash documents he mentions the gba cpu pinout which says that the audio lines are pins 6 and 7:

http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm

The gb player pcb has these convenient "test points" where you can solder wires to the traces and tap the lines:

Gameboy Player audio improvement mod OvIYfER

Sound was clear but had a whining noise. Ace told me a lpf that worked for him so I tried it. Both audio lines have a series 470 ohm resistor followed by a 0.01 uf cap to ground. I built the filter and the sound came out perfect. I wired a toggle switch to go between original system audio and my bypassed audio:

Gameboy Player audio improvement mod 0iD0B3m

Here's a video where I'm playing music and switching between the audio sources so you can hear the difference:

funny - i just noticed the terrible audio on the gbp the other day when playing harmony of dissonance.

I had started wondering about low pass filters, etc inside the gbp.

so what did you do did you add that wire between the two units to mix the gbp audio into the multi-out?

thanks drakon.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Gameboy Player audio improvement mod   Gameboy Player audio improvement mod EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 12:53 am

The wire in between is the system audio out. The toggle switch toggles between system audio and improved gb player audio. The thing with improved gb player audio is it's gba audio only so if I'm in the mood for some gamecube games I need to switch back to system audio which is why I installed that setup.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Gameboy Player audio improvement mod   Gameboy Player audio improvement mod EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 8:57 am

Drakon wrote:
The wire in between is the system audio out. The toggle switch toggles between system audio and improved gb player audio. The thing with improved gb player audio is it's gba audio only so if I'm in the mood for some gamecube games I need to switch back to system audio which is why I installed that setup.

Ah so i dont even need that extra wire since the reason i own a gc is to play gameboy games.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Gameboy Player audio improvement mod   Gameboy Player audio improvement mod EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Right if you're exclusively playing gba / gb / gbc games you won't need the extra wire and toggle switch. I just put that in if anyone wants to play smash bros or something else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gameboy Player audio improvement mod   Gameboy Player audio improvement mod Empty

Back to top Go down

Gameboy Player audio improvement mod
Page 1 of 1