Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pvm not working

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mvsfan

Pvm not working Empty
PostSubject: Pvm not working   Pvm not working EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 7:22 pm

i just bought another pvm. its the same model as my first one except it has a 20 inch screen. It was supposed to be working but it doesnt.

when i hit the power switch the power light turns green and i can hear the degauss coil. I also feel static on the screen if i put my arm up there.

but no osd ever shows up to tell me im on input 1 etc. its supposed to show the input as soon as you turn it on and i just get no signal at all.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Pvm not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pvm not working   Pvm not working EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 9:39 am

I've never had a pvm. Working inside a crt can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

Pvm not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pvm not working   Pvm not working EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 1:46 pm

Drakon wrote:
I've never had a pvm. Working inside a crt can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Oh, i know. I had a high voltage probe for discharging them and also to take readings but i havent been able to find it i havent seen it since i moved.

I havent touched the monitor yet and im aggrevated that i cant find it.

it was supposed to be a working monitor i just think something came loose in shipping.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Pvm not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pvm not working   Pvm not working EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 5:54 pm

I just want you to be safe. Please don't attempt to fix it unless you have the proper tools, training, and certification.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

Pvm not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pvm not working   Pvm not working EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 5:29 pm

i got the proper tool to discharge this and i took the chassis out of it.

Its not good news. On the main ic which has about 40 pins on each side, there is a crack running along every pin going down one side of the IC every trace is broken.
I could probably get it working again by reflowing the pins on that ic but since the board is cracked i dont trust that it wont just crack again. Its a large board with a lot of flex in it since its so thin. Its a lot thinner than most console pcbs.

i may have found someone who does repairs who can use some kind of a bonding kit to bond the pcb and restore the traces.

no idea what that would cost though.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Pvm not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pvm not working   Pvm not working EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 12:48 pm

How close are the pins?  Is it possible to hand solder each one back together?  That's quite bad news indeed, probably stress from handling while shipping.

I've repaired a pcb in the past that bubbled and traces just burst. Was a bit of manual resoldering of traces using actual wires / metal legs.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

Pvm not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pvm not working   Pvm not working EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 pm

I repaired an arcade pcb that had cut traces, where i just removed the soldermask and flowed solder between the gap. but the board itself wasnt cracked.

I think if i just do that in this case the board will crack more. Id have to glue it or something first and i dont know how the solder would react to the glue.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Pvm not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pvm not working   Pvm not working EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 10:00 am

I hate cheap pcbs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pvm not working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pvm not working   Pvm not working Empty

Back to top Go down

Pvm not working
Page 1 of 1