Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pong for NES

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Pong for NES - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 2:34 am

glenn101 wrote:
It will be a vertical shooter type game. My concept for the game doesn't involve scrolling so yes, it will be a single screen, I'm thinking of having an option of 2 player simultaneous play also.

Darn I love scrolling Neutral
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 3:25 am

That's for the game after Very Happy

Don't worry, it will feature shooter elements such as power ups, bombs etc, it's just there will be a static background. I think it has the potential to be a good game, there are still quite a few things to think about though. I'll describe it in more detail after I've finished Speed Pong - that's what I'm going to call it heh. I've implemented a speed system in it now where with each few hits with the ball, the speed of the ball in the x-direction will increase hence the name heh.

I basically finished a variation of the game I'm planning on doing after Speed Pong, but for mobile devices a month or so ago. I was close to releasing it but when I tried playing games on my new phone (as I didn't have a so called smart phone until recently) I thought this is rubbish. I like playing games on a proper sized screen, not a wimpy little mobile screen, also I prefer using real buttons not just touching a screen. So then I came over to the world of NES development Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 11:25 am

Well for me it depends on the type of game. I find that some rpgs are actually MORE fun on a handheld than at home. But yeah most of the time games are better on a real console for sure.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 1:26 am

Yeah I completely agree about RPG's, I find that too, it's just more fun on some games. If I do play handheld games, those are the ones I enjoy the most.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:22 pm

glenn101 wrote:
Yeah I completely agree about RPG's, I find that too, it's just more fun on some games. If I do play handheld games, those are the ones I enjoy the most.

I don't get why rpgs are so appealing on handhelds. For some reason I'm too lazy to be bothered switching the game in my handheld I just like having something I can leave in it and not switch out too often. And unfortunately flash carts for handhelds drain the batteries pretty fast.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:01 am

Yeah I think it has to do with being lazy to switch games :P But there is also something appealing about it that I just can't describe. Yeah it is unfortunate that they drain batteries fast.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:33 am

glenn101 wrote:
Yeah I think it has to do with being lazy to switch games :P But there is also something appealing about it that I just can't describe. Yeah it is unfortunate that they drain batteries fast.

Yeah I know what you mean I find myself really enjoying final fantasy 5 on my gba but on the snes I was never fond of that game.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 12:42 am

No more progress on Pong since the other day although I'm hoping to get most of the game elements done over the weekend i.e. score and multiple screens running i.e. title/game screens. The soundtrack is another thing, I still have not learned about sound engine development via NA yet.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 1:26 am

glenn101 wrote:
No more progress on Pong since the other day although I'm hoping to get most of the game elements done over the weekend i.e. score and multiple screens running i.e. title/game screens. The soundtrack is another thing, I still have not learned about sound engine development via NA yet.

I'm banned from NA so I can't help you there laughing

Really though I don't have patience when it comes to programming. Yet I can work on hardware all day and be pretty okay....guess it was my calling...

My new secondary hangout is famicom world. The people on famicom world are awesome and I seem to get along with everybody (one of the admins is a long time buddy on my windows live). Also people on famicom world seem much more serious than NA. People on NA seem to just want to make easy money...
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 1:35 am

Wow, did you just get banned the other day?

I do have the patience for programming heh, I guess it's just I need to readjust to having uni and work out times to devote to working on my NES programming. Also I'm going to enter a robotics competition with uni which will take up some time but it will be well worth it for the experience. I am very fond of hardware too, I've always been interested in learning more analogue electronics, and also learning about how digital devices too like D/A and A/D converters function etc.

I myself haven't been on NA too long, but from what I've been exposed to it doesn't seem too serious. I might check out famicom world then, although my knowledge of the famicom is very limited, I've never owned/played one (I really should).
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 1:53 am

I've been banned for quite a while now. I honestly don't care people there are complete @assholes. A moderator told me in a thread to "STFU". Then later he told me in PM to stfu and leave, then tried to make an apology. I told him if the pm didn't start with "stfu you should leave" people would take him more seriously. Next thing I know I'm banned.

And don't feel to intimidated by famicom world they have nes stuff too laughing
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Wow I can't believe a moderator would act so childish, do they just let anyone be moderators then lol?

Fair enough though, I've noticed some assholes over their too. In particular I noticed some guy would always just disagree with what you say, I think his name was Jero something?
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 pm

glenn101 wrote:
Wow I can't believe a moderator would act so childish, do they just let anyone be moderators then lol?

Fair enough though, I've noticed some assholes over their too. In particular I noticed some guy would always just disagree with what you say, I think his name was Jero something?

Oh yeah that guy from holland laughing . Actually he was one of the nicer people there. Yes he'd automatically disagree with everything I said but atleast he had some manners and would apologize occasionally. Yeah I seriously do think they let just anybody be moderators there. There's actually a lot of great users lurking on that forum who're afraid to post because of bad moderating.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 pm

Speed Pong is back in development!

Finished University for the semester a few days ago, and have thus been working on Speed Pong again. Good progress has been made, the following features still need to be implemented:
  • Title Screen.
  • BGM.
  • Sound Effects.

All the game mechanics have been implemented. Depending on the position of the paddle the ball intersects will change the angle of the balls trajectory. After every 2 hits the ball is speed up, there is a maximum speed set for the ball so it doesn't go too fast and crash the game Smile

Here's the latest screenshot showing the score graphics now implemented:
Pong for NES - Page 2 Speedp10
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 7:48 pm

speeds up after 2 hits? I hope it's a really small increment! Sexy graphics tongue
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks Drakon, it could perhaps be a smaller speed increment haha, or just change the 2 hits to 4 or 5 or something. Yeah I'm quite happy with the graphics, it's a more colourful Pong, didn't want it to look dull.

I'll send you a copy of the current version, tell me what you think about the speed increment, I think it is still too fast to increase.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 8:30 am

Sorry I'm wayyyy too busy with stuff right now to try it out.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 11:28 pm

No worries. I'm restructuring a lot of the code now so testing it with the current code wouldn't be that useful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pong for NES   Pong for NES - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pong for NES
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Projects / Showcase :: Works in Progress-
Jump to: