Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Super FX2 Multicart

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

The Super FX2 Multicart Empty
PostSubject: The Super FX2 Multicart   The Super FX2 Multicart EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:21 pm

This's what I wanted doug to build me in the first place way back when. But he never did. So I finally got around to buying an eprom burner, eproms, and building it myself out of one of the eprom wired gsu 2 carts doug built me. This cart has the maskrom socket and crystal oscillator pins wired into a 34 pin header. I can quickly change the game and overclock crystal just by disconnecting one header and plugging in another.

The Super FX2 Multicart Vortex

The Super FX2 Multicart Starfox2

The Super FX2 Multicart Stuntracefx

The Super FX2 Multicart Epromandcrystal

The Super FX2 Multicart Connectornaked

Since eprom versions of superfx games overclock faster than maskrom versions I'm going to burn eproms of all the games out there and find out their top speeds.

Last edited by Drakon on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: The Super FX2 Multicart   The Super FX2 Multicart EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Awesome Drakon, great work!

That will be interesting to find out what each game's top speed is.

Oh my god, I never knew the star fox 2 rom was released, I just heard they never officially released it back in the day and never looked back into it until I saw you running it! I have to get it! I loved the first one.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: The Super FX2 Multicart   The Super FX2 Multicart EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:54 pm

glenn101 wrote:
Awesome Drakon, great work!

That will be interesting to find out what each game's top speed is.

Oh my god, I never knew the star fox 2 rom was released, I just heard they never officially released it back in the day and never looked back into it until I saw you running it! I have to get it! I loved the first one.

The top speed of stunt race fx is 33.33 mhz. When we used the maskrom on a gsu 2 the top speed was 30 mhz so indeed using an eprom with faster access speed increases the possible overclock speed. Starfox 2 has a max speed of 33 mhz. And starfox has an amazing max speed of 48 mhz (even though the framerate hits maximum at 42 mhz)

Tomorrow I'll test what the top speed of vortex is and I have two more eproms so I can look into what else I want to burn and test.

Also the starfox 2 rom has been floating around for quite some time people have been making starfox 2 reproductions for a while. However most people don't want to make superfx repros because soldering to the tiny surface mount rom pads is a major annoyance. And with the help of doug doing the maskrom soldering on gsu 2 carts I'm the first person to overclock these games to these speeds.
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: The Super FX2 Multicart   The Super FX2 Multicart EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Yeah I bet is has been floating around for a while, I just never looked into it.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: The Super FX2 Multicart   The Super FX2 Multicart EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 am

glenn101 wrote:
Yeah I bet is has been floating around for a while, I just never looked into it.

Sorry I still havn't tested your pong. Spent all day working on this doh
Back to top Go down
glenn101
glenn101

PostSubject: Re: The Super FX2 Multicart   The Super FX2 Multicart EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:05 am

No worries, it's awesome what you have been working on thumbs up

I'll probably send you my most recent version later on anyway, it's more important that the version with the collisions done how I intended plays correctly on the hardware.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: The Super FX2 Multicart   The Super FX2 Multicart EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:42 am

glenn101 wrote:
No worries, it's awesome what you have been working on thumbs up

I'll probably send you my most recent version later on anyway, it's more important that the version with the collisions done how I intended plays correctly on the hardware.

I will test the new one out when I get home from work
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: The Super FX2 Multicart   The Super FX2 Multicart EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Today I built my first game "module". It's just a tiny project box with a connector and inside the box is an eprom and crystal oscillator:

The Super FX2 Multicart Modulefinished

The Super FX2 Multicart Pluggedin

The Super FX2 Multicart Starfoxrunning

To swap games you just unplug the little box at the back and plug in another box. Each box will contain the eprom and the crystal oscillator so each game module will contain the crystal oscillator that tells the gsu 2 what speed to run at. I also finished my adapter that has a socket for the eprom as well as the oscillator (was too lazy to take pics). I built the oscillator socket to accept both full and half sized oscillators (dual compabile cool ). I can now swap the oscillator in a matter of seconds to find out what speed is best. I can also swap the eprom in seconds in this tester rig. Vortex has a max speed of 32 mhz, not bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Super FX2 Multicart   The Super FX2 Multicart Empty

Back to top Go down

The Super FX2 Multicart
Page 1 of 1