Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

(page closed)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Conker

Conker

(page closed) Empty
PostSubject: (page closed)   (page closed) EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm

PAGE CLOSED Shocked

Last edited by Modding-Halfling on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

(page closed) Empty
PostSubject: Re: (page closed)   (page closed) EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:38 am

I suggest you make more topics and post some stuff first. When I started my forum I posted a lot of stuff before inviting anyone. And when I did finally get around to inviting people it was just close friends who're on my windows live messenger. I didn't even add my forum in my profile on other forums until I'd had it running for quite some time. I never felt the need to advertise or post my forum in other forums I only stick it in my profile and signature if people feel like taking a look. Sometimes I'll post a link to my forum if it's too much work to copy and paste the thread but I'm not asking people to join my forum. If you need people to sign up just to "get the ball rolling" then you're probably just doing it for attention. If your work is interesting enough people will find your forum heck I get people hunting my down all the time just from the stuff I posted on youtube.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
bacteria

bacteria

(page closed) Empty
PostSubject: Re: (page closed)   (page closed) EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 3:14 am

That's the point, if you have content on YouTube or other places that people find interesting, then they will hunt down your forum and also find your site via Google searches.

If however you have little or no presence or content of your own that would interest others, then your site will be very lonely indeed / die, through lack of interest. Like when you tried a website several months ago Modding-Halfing (I just double checked on the old forum for the address) : http://moddersnational.webs.com/

If people have no reason to join they won't, that's why you need to become a good modder and get your name about as such, innovate stuff and then you might generate interest, maybe, as luck also has a factor to play too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.made-by-bacteria.com
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

(page closed) Empty
PostSubject: Re: (page closed)   (page closed) EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 am

directly from the forum on moddersnational:

"as soon as i get 100 members on the website i will update the forums to the max
ex. i will post more threads and new categories about modding all systems like n64 and EVERYTHING all i need is 100 members. thank you "

wtf? There's plenty of well established modding forums out there that're full of content yet you expect 100 people to join a forum that offers....nothing? Like I post my work on various modding forums and I have my forum linked in my signature and that's all you should need to do. Oh and by the way my signature isn't something like "join my forum!!!@$%!@%" my sig is just a simple link to my forum without some message of desparation telling people to join it. I certainly don't go around making threads and posts asking people to join. I let my work speak for what I'm about and if people like what they see then they can join my forum too. For such a "serious modder" maybe you should start doing some serious modding and posting it. Like I said before....try to think outside the box....do something that other people aren't doing, being original really helps your work get attention. Also doing mods that're unpopular because of difficulty can get you lots of attention. Or if you make something cool and post it on a lot of tech blogs again you'll get more attention than other guys who do the same thing. My forum's been around for a bit and I think I have like 35 members, so set your goals realistically.

I don't know about you modding halfling but I get turned off as soon as I see a forum with no content. I get even more turned off when the guy who's running the forum posts that he wants people to join and then maybe he'll actually put up some content. I took what I learned from bacs well designed forum and applied it here. Bacs forum has lots of topics that cover a broad range of modding so people won't feel like their work doesn't belong. Bacs forum is simple, easy on the eyes, has lots of nice pictures next to topics, easy to use, and has a simple layout that makes it easy to find everything / navigate.

Also right now your forum says "my mods my way". A: You havn't posted your mods. B: As soon as you say "me this me that my way" then that will make people think you care more about yourself than making a community. Here's my forum message:

"A forum to show appreciation and respect fo classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a community environment."

If you were looking for a forum to join, would you to go the one that says "my mods my way" with nothing posted or come to a place like this forum?
Back to top Go down
Conker

Conker

(page closed) Empty
PostSubject: Re: (page closed)   (page closed) EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 am

lol and thats why im here. but my website is based more like electro modders. anyway im shuttin her down until more stuff gets posted (workin on that now)
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

(page closed) Empty
PostSubject: Re: (page closed)   (page closed) EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 10:35 am

Modding-Halfling wrote:
lol and thats why im here. but my website is based more like electro modders. anyway im shuttin her down until more stuff gets posted (workin on that now)

Good people won't come to something that offers....nothing
Back to top Go down
bacteria

bacteria

(page closed) Empty
PostSubject: Re: (page closed)   (page closed) EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Modding Halfling - you can't make content on your site when you have none yourself, you can't think you can copy/paste from other sites, it doesn't work that way; and at the moment, you have no content or interesting stuff of your own to post.

People only want to be part of a forum and the people behind it (association) if it is in their interest and they want to, if there's no reason for them, they won't. Many people have tried making forums in the past, it is seldom that one succeeds, most fail.
Back to top Go down
http://www.made-by-bacteria.com
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

(page closed) Empty
PostSubject: Re: (page closed)   (page closed) EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Well I'm not saying his forum is going to fail I just think it's silly that he won't post any work until 100 people join.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

(page closed) Empty
PostSubject: Re: (page closed)   (page closed) Empty

Back to top Go down

(page closed)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General Discussions-
Jump to: