Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES*

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
apippy

Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES* Empty
PostSubject: Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES*   Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES* EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 1:00 am

Hello! I've been lurking here for a while and I love the SNES cart mod projects everyone has been working on.

This weekend I have successfully overclocked a Stunt Race FX cart using the 2-Pin 27 Mhz Crystal / 2x 18pf method, and here is where my question about mask rom swapping comes in.

I was thinking of transferring the mask rom from a Starfox cart onto one of my many Stunt Race FX PCBs, and just overclock that using the same method above.

Can I just slap that Starfox mask rom down there on the Stunt Race PCB... or will I have to re-wire the pins, like when using your own EPROM (27C801).

I seen pictures a guy posted on mmmonkey, and it looked like he just put the Starfox mask rom directly pin for pin on a Doom PCB.

Thanks all!

Adam
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES*   Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES* EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 7:50 am

apippy wrote:
Hello! I've been lurking here for a while and I love the SNES cart mod projects everyone has been working on.

This weekend I have successfully overclocked a Stunt Race FX cart using the 2-Pin 27 Mhz Crystal / 2x 18pf method, and here is where my question about mask rom swapping comes in.

I was thinking of transferring the mask rom from a Starfox cart onto one of my many Stunt Race FX PCBs, and just overclock that using the same method above.

Can I just slap that Starfox mask rom down there on the Stunt Race PCB... or will I have to re-wire the pins, like when using your own EPROM (27C801).

I seen pictures a guy posted on mmmonkey, and it looked like he just put the Starfox mask rom directly pin for pin on a Doom PCB.

Thanks all!

Adam

Yes it's pin compatible.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
apippy

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES*   Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES* EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Drakon wrote:
apippy wrote:

Thanks all!

Adam

Yes it's pin compatible.

I managed to get the Maskrom to boot up fine, but like in some of your other threads, I ran into the same problem that it just wasn't overclocking properly.

I'm going to order a few 4 pin crystals and try out your method. The only problem I have is... how did you identify the clock pin on the GSU chip? I don't want to cut the wrong trace.

I've been collecting all the pics you've taken of your carts... its really hard to see your points with all the glue!

Cheers,
Adam
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES*   Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES* EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Finding the clock trace is very easy. It's the only trace that connects from the clock circuit on the pcb to the gsu superfx chip.
Back to top Go down
apippy

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES*   Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES* EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:12 pm

I apologize if I'm asking obvious questions here, I'd say my skill level is high level intermediate.. so I kind of just know enough to be dangerous!

I'm going to move over to a Doom cart and EPROM.

Having a look at the Doom PCB... it looks like I can just desolder the resistor labeled FB9, and solder the crystal signal to the pad. Or is it best to just leave it as is and cut the trace...

I've included a link to the PCB as reference:
Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES* SPAL-AD8P-0-front
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES*   Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES* EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Even if you desolder fb9 the trace still connects through to the other side of the pcb so you'd need to cut the trace.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES*   Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES* Empty

Back to top Go down

Question regarding mask rom "swapping" *SNES*
Page 1 of 1