Okay I fixed my sega cd completely. Keep in mind this's the first segacd I've ever seen and I just got it yesterday...like I was with the 32x guess I'm a fast learner. I bought this segacd on ebay (for really cheap) with it listed as "factory refurbrished, gauranteed to work". When I plugged it in and fired it up I was presented with this lovely scratching noise of the cd constantly scratching against the case as it spins, also it would get to the sonic shooting fireworks screen and then freeze. I tried some old audio cds and I only got one to actually play (while scratching against the case), it wasn't a burned cd, store bought one. First I needed to fix the scratching, I used some foam to raise the entire cd assembly and that worked, I found sticking some nice prop nuts looked nicer though (and won't ever depress in the future like foam will):
This cured the disc scratching against the case, then there was the issue of getting this sega cd to read discs. I managed to get a burned copy of final fight cd to load once every 50 or so times, the in-stage music wouldn't play though. I tried jeroi's "sensibility" pot that didn't do anything. Tiido said adjusting the other pots would brick my segacd for life and that I need a scope to adjust them properly. Since my segacd was already just a glorified cd player and I'd wind up sending it back to the seller anyway I decided to go against the warnings of tiido and mess with these pots anyway. The pots are numbered:
Naturally I decided to start with #1. Turned it to the right, same thing as before, turned it to the left, whole thing worked like it's brand new. Since I have zero clue of what this pot actually does I turned it to left the minimal distance to get it running okay. Here's how the pots came:
And here's how I set the pots to get it working:
Running like a champ:
For all I know pot #1 could adjust the laser strength so the less you need to turn it to get the thing working the longer the laser should last.