Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PAL vs. NTSC

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
portableboy190

portableboy190

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Depending on where they are from, video game consules have either Pal of Ntsc. When modding, which setting (im not sure what exactly you call it) is better to use? Since I live in the US, the standard is Ntsc. You could also order either one on ebay. Iv'e read Pal is better, but im not sure.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:34 pm

portableboy190 wrote:
Depending on where they are from, video game consules have either Pal of Ntsc. When modding, which setting (im not sure what exactly you call it) is better to use? Since I live in the US, the standard is Ntsc. You could also order either one on ebay. Iv'e read Pal is better, but im not sure.

If your tv accepts ntsc then obviously you want to use ntsc.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
portableboy190

portableboy190

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks, but would it matter if its being used on a portable?
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 am

portableboy190 wrote:
Thanks, but would it matter if its being used on a portable?

When you're using a portable you're using a portable screen. If the screen is designed to accept ntsc then you want a ntsc system.
Back to top Go down
portableboy190

portableboy190

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 am

Oh, Thanks. I wasn't sure about that.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 am

portableboy190 wrote:
Oh, Thanks. I wasn't sure about that.

It always depends on the screen. Whether it's a full sized tv or a small portable lcd screen each screen is designed to etiher take ntsc or pal. Some screens can take either. I don't know why people think pal would be better, japan / american both use ntsc and most of these games are from japan.
Back to top Go down
portableboy190

portableboy190

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 5:17 pm

Im going to use the 5" PS1 screen, so probably NTSC. I also live in the USA.
Back to top Go down
AlecRob
AlecRob

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 am

Cant you use a screen other than the PS1? Seems like every hacker on the face of the earth is tearing those things apart, what about the people that actually want to use them on their PSone? Very Happy Eventually every one in the world will be turned into some kind of wacky portable console!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 2:35 am

AlecRob wrote:
Cant you use a screen other than the PS1? Seems like every hacker on the face of the earth is tearing those things apart, what about the people that actually want to use them on their PSone? Very Happy Eventually every one in the world will be turned into some kind of wacky portable console!

I fully agree with you on this. Unfortunately most beginners start by making a portable, there's so many super simple guides out there on how to do it with easy to follow pictures etc etc. For some reason making a portable seems to have as much mass appeal as "make your own arcade stick" or "paint your console and add see through windows in the case". These simple to do mods with no real engineering involved seem to be peoples way of trying to get attention. And it works, portablized consoles / paint jobs / homemade fancy arcade sticks get a lot of attention on many forums. People are more interested in who makes a prettier looking case / cleaner looking modwork rather than someone who makes a console run better. It seems most of these how-to guides tell you to use the ps one screen, which is why this's happening. I'm not saying all portables are terrible there's plenty of amazing craftsmanship that can go into making one, but you're not actually improving a console in any way by making it portable.

My mods are based on stuff that people generally won't find much other use for. Or I'll take something that's useful in one way and find a much better use for it. I think pulling apart a ps one screen is kinda sucky I'd much rather use some cheap screen that's just wired to take composite or s-video, the ps one screen is useful as a ps one screen and there's plenty of affordable alternatives floating around.

I like to take the terrible doom snes cart and convert it into overclocked starfox, to me that's a much better use of a super fx 2 chip. I like to take the nes compatible rgb ppu chips and use them in a home system instead of an arcade board that only can play a small handful of games at most. I think making a portable is a terrible waste of a console really, it's not like you're going to really tell the difference between the real hardware or a port / emulator on a tiny screen with tinny little speakers.

I know back before consoles had been portablized doing it was cool just as a proof of concept sort of thing, because back then you actually would have to engineer how to do it instead of just following some sort of simple picture guide. Now portablizing has been turned into a circus, and I see a lot of n64s getting fried and ps one screens getting chopped up in its wake.
Back to top Go down
portableboy190

portableboy190

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 5:29 pm

I just think since this is my first portable, i want use something that isn't to hard to connect and I have some backup from other people. Unless you think other screens are better.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:12 pm

portableboy190 wrote:
I just think since this is my first portable, i want use something that isn't to hard to connect and I have some backup from other people. Unless you think other screens are better.

Well it's competely up to you. I've never made a portable so I wouldn't know.
Back to top Go down
portableboy190

portableboy190

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks for the help! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
AlecRob
AlecRob

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Is a PS1 screen capable of accepting an RGB signal? I wonder if one could modify a PSone with RGB output, and modify a PSone screen with RGB input and get an overall better picture quality...
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 10:12 pm

AlecRob wrote:
Is a PS1 screen capable of accepting an RGB signal? I wonder if one could modify a PSone with RGB output, and modify a PSone screen with RGB input and get an overall better picture quality...

I think so, but on a screen that tiny you won't notice the quality difference. The bigger the screen, the bigger the difference. Same with sound, the bigger the speakers / amp, the more you notice the difference in quality. On a tinny little speaker you'll barely notice audio upgrades.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 am

I know back before consoles had been portablized doing it was cool just as a proof of concept sort of thing, because back then you actually would have to engineer how to do it instead of just following some sort of simple picture guide. Now portablizing has been turned into a circus, and I see a lot of n64s getting fried and ps one screens getting chopped up in its wake.[/quote]

i agree on making portables. i think its a waste of time and a good console, screen, ect. Id much rather spend time playing games on a big screen. its the reason i have a super gameboy but i dont own a gameboy anymore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PAL vs. NTSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAL vs. NTSC   PAL vs. NTSC Empty

Back to top Go down

PAL vs. NTSC
Page 1 of 1