Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 Empty
PostSubject: My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44   My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 pm

After crudloads of nes and famicom modding I finally got back in the mood for some pc engine modding.  This commission is another epic one for detroit44.  For this job I'm rgb modding two pc engine duo r systems and then I'm building an external jamma adapter that you can plug these systems into so you can play them on an arcade cabinet.

These days using the ths7314 rgb amp for systems is all the rage so I built something similar to this schematic posted by the nice people from pcenginefx:

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 R38BA01

I used 3m ohm resistors to vcc instead of 3.6m ohm.  I didn't bother with the 330 uf caps and between vcc and gnd I just used a 0.01 uf cap which I plan to switch with a 0.1 uf for some nice power decoupling.

I tapped rgb + composite sync from the appropriate pins of the huc6260 video chip which is the same video chip found in any model of the pc engine or turbografx 16 system.  This chip is fantastic if you change a little circuitry you can also get 99% perfect s-video from it too.

The picture wouldn't sync up at all.  After checking my work over and scratching my head for a while I realized that the pc engine rgb guides out there also have you amp sync as well as rgb.  Unfortunately the ths7314 can only amp three signals so I needed to build something separate to clean up sync.  I used the old 1992 transistor amp schematic for sync and it worked for a couple of seconds but then lost sync.  I next ditched the amp and constructed myself a lm1881 circuit and....

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 YGYfWeq

Finally.

This part took much longer and more hardware than I was expecting.  But I'm glad it's over, the rest is all stuff I've more or less done before.  This was the only part that was really treading a little bit into uncharted water.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44   My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 3:46 pm

I finally found time to sit down and work on this some more. Duo R #1 is done:

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 LIIWWvR

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 9RSm6SO

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 BtUb7FI
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44   My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Jamma adapter rgb amp and audio are wired up and working great:

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 KfVWlcd

For some reason only the njm2267 amp works for me for getting the signal to arcade level.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44   My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Got controller 1 wired up, demo video:

Back to top Go down
Detroit44

PostSubject: Re: My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44   My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi Dom:

Great to see you in that video! The system looks and sounds great. Great choices of games. Thank you so much for talking this project. Let me know if you need anything! Mark. BTW - we have to meet in person some day!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44   My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Detroit44 wrote:
Hi Dom:

Great to see you in that video!  The system looks and sounds great.  Great choices of games.  Thank you so much for talking this project.  Let me know if you need anything!  Mark. BTW - we have to meet in person some day!

Yeah if you're ever going to be in my city just let me know.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44   My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Controller 2 wired up and working.  Power wired up.  Case is fully assembled.  I'll mount the kick harness on the side once I confirm if we want a cps1 or cps2 harness connector.  Sorry for my crude label for the switches I don't have a proper label maker or printer.

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 ZnGX4MI

Like my other jamma adapter this one plugs into all the ports of the system.  The only port that was changed on the system was I installed a model 1 genesis av port to support rgb.  The duo contains a ths7314 rgb amp and lm1881 sync cleaner.

This is much better than my first one. I managed to fit everything inside of one neat box. I installed the second controller pcb on top of the other seperated by pcb feet. The bottom controller is bolted into the case. The rgb amp is protected by a layer of electrical tape.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44   My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Finished Duo R #2

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 LpEdfwr

Showing that they work fine on the scart to component adapter:

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 E3gSZwv

And a little fun video of the jamma adapter in action:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44   My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44 Empty

Back to top Go down

My dual duo r with jamma adapter commission for: Detroit 44
Page 1 of 1