Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WiiFitPlus

Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? Empty
PostSubject: Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod?   Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:45 am

I had the F-Labo kit done by Drakon here for my AV Famicom and I couldn't be happier. Besides the incredible picture quality, the stereo mod is superb.

Here's an interesting device I bought called the ENIO EXP:

http://enio.chykn.com/wiki/index.php/ENIO_EXP_Board

It pops right into the expansion port of your toaster (finally, a use for that port!). Not only do you now get expanded audio for your Famicom games, but it also gives you the Famicom accessory port for your NES toaster so you can use the Famicom computer keyboard, the Famicom 3-D glasses, etc.

Since I know Drakon is experienced with finding the best methods of doing things, I figured I'd post about this here. There's a million guides online on how to do the "stereo" mod for the NES, but the instructions are wild and varying. Some call for two potentiometers, some call for one. Some call for resistors, some don't. Some call for capacitors, some don't. I can't find a solid, definitive guide for the mod.

I was also wondering if it would sound as good as my Drakon-modded AV Famicom? That thing puts out some incredible sound, but I am assuming the F-Labo is to thank for most of that. Is there any way to get F-Labo quality "stereo" in my toaster, without actually buying an F-Labo?

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod?   Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Yes it's perfectly possible to get excellent sound out of any model.  I recently tweaked the nesrgb audio circuit here:

https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/t356-new-av-famicom-audio-mod-nesamp

Since the f-labo is becoming extinct I might as well put the quick schematic I drew of the f-labo audio circuit:

Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? YR05gye

The nesrgb circuit I've been working with is might simpler than this.

Last edited by Drakon on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
WiiFitPlus

PostSubject: Re: Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod?   Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 pm

By sheer luck I am in fact getting an NESRGB soon, and it's going in the toaster. Why does the NESRGB device alter the mod, though?
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod?   Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:52 pm

OnyxDomain wrote:
By sheer luck I am in fact getting an NESRGB soon, and it's going in the toaster. Why does the NESRGB device alter the mod, though?
Nesrgb just contains an audio amp circuit.  With help I tweaked it for the av famicom.  Luckily the adjustments I made will work in any model nes / famicom.
Back to top Go down
MaxWar

MaxWar

PostSubject: Re: Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod?   Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Drakon Style schematics!!

Thanks for this, I had tried to figure out the circuit just by looking at my scans of the Flabo kit but gave up as it was a hassle and did not feel like taking appart my famicom.
While we all are on sharing mode, here are the scans of the Flabo PCB. For future archeologists!

Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? RxivL4u
Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? Z18zYNQ
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod?   Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks Maxwar.  Lately I've been learning a lot about the nes audio circuit.  To get the volume strong enough for famicom mixing using a gain of 100k ohm is about perfect.  I found with 100k gain using a low pass filter of 130 pf (just a cap to ground) before the amp perfectly gets rid of the distortion.  It seems the f-labo uses a different type of filter to remove the nes audio distortion which is why the f-labo filters out the drums of certain games.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod?   Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stereo mod for the toaster that sounds as good as the AV Famicom stereo mod?
Page 1 of 1