Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Alley_Cat_Jack

Alley_Cat_Jack

Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output Empty
PostSubject: Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output   Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 5:31 am

Hey guys. Just got back from a convention. I spent the night at a friends place before coming home because I was so tired. While I was there today, I found out that he has an Atari Jaguar. So he pulled it out, hooked it up, and we played some games. However the RF quality on that thing is very bad. Looking on the back, there is an AV output that after searching on google for the pin-out, I found it has everything needed to output s-video. I told him that I could whip up a S-Video cable for him. However before leaving, I forgot to open up the system and take a look to see if the chroma and luma have resistors and caps, or if I should add a 75Ohm resistor and 220uf cap to both signals.

If anyone has one and can let me know, that would be great. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output   Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Looks like it just plugs in dude. take a look at this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-S-Video-AV-combo-cable-USA-Shipped-/251371105255?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a86e2abe7

i dont know what parts he has in the cable itself though.
Back to top Go down
Grambo

Grambo

PostSubject: Re: Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output   Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Even consoles that require resistors/caps on RGB lines often have nothing for their S-Video.

Everything for RGB is on the board with the Jaguar according to: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm#jaguar

I don't know for CERTAIN, but I'm pretty confident in saying that you'll be just fine with no resistors/caps in any cable you make.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output   Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 pm

He's probably thinking like the sega genesis s-video mod where you tap luma and chroma of a cxa1645 and they need those parts.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Alley_Cat_Jack

Alley_Cat_Jack

PostSubject: Re: Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output   Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 4:21 am

Well the part that made me a little unsure is that the connection on the back of the Jaguar isn't exactly a normal thing to see on the back of a console. It looks like it might have some sort of attachment that would go there, so I thought I would ask just to be sure. Although looking at how the s-video cable is that was linked, it looks like it was just a weird design choice to not put some kind of jack on the back but rather just the board sticking out.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output   Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 9:02 am

I've never seen any console with a s-video jack on the back.  Every console I've seen uses custom connectors to save space and then you just buy cables for that connector. The only actual ports that come built into some consoles is composite and rf video.

Just a quick google and I found this:

Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output Bv1ycUF

s_color and s_luma are the two signals needed for s-video so you don't need to add any components.  You could always do something like this:

http://www.dratek.com/content/diy-atari-jaguar-av-composite-and-s-video-box

Or if there's enough space inside the case then just tap luma, chroma and gnd and install a s-video jack in the back.  Never underestimate the power of google.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output   Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output Empty

Back to top Go down

Question About Atari Jaguar AV Output
Page 1 of 1