Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Over-criticism of other modders

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Over-criticism of other modders Empty
PostSubject: Over-criticism of other modders   Over-criticism of other modders EmptyMon Aug 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Lately I found enough time to sit down and read some of the hate posts about me.  I was reading over the thread on sega16 because contrary to what people may believe I am interested in what they have to say when it's not ignorant.

In the sega16 thread a member called evildragon at first tried to defend me, then he caved in and joined in with hating me, which is fine.  Evildragon posted that he didn't like my private messages which is why I'm posting this here instead of sending him a private message to discuss this.

What really bothered me was the people in that thread turned against evildragon and brought up some small bad hoax he had done 6 or 7 years prior.  Even if evildragon hates me, he didn't deserve that.  Evildragon posted pictures of his own hardware mod-work to seemingly sell his own services and I think it looks very nice, but people still couldn't get over something he had done ages ago.

I want to say that evildragon's work looks very quality.  From the private message conversations I've had with evildragon I can see that he definitely has a good, generous nature.  Evildragon was always willing to politely share nice tips with me and give me good advice on how to do my work.  In private conversation with evildragon I discussed his past mistakes and he's definitely sorry for it, done more than enough to make up for it, and learned from those mistakes long ago.  I have respect for evildragon because he's proven that even though he makes mistakes he's able to self reflect and later apologize for them and learn from them.

People shouldn't judge a good modder like evildragon by his past mistakes, but by how he handled those mistakes, learned and grew from them.  I believe that it's never too late for someone to make up for his or her past mistakes, including the people who are ignorantly hating me.  Evildragon has clearly learned from his mistakes a very long time ago and handled it very well.  I think it's wrong, stupid and immature to hate a good person like evildragon who made a mistake and then made up for it.

Another example I found was people posting old pictures by the modder shockslayer and saying bad things about his work.  I feel that shockslayer has been rude to me in the past, but again, I don't think he deserves that sort of negative attention.  Shockslayer has posted many pictures of great looking creations that he made so obviously he learned his lesson and people should get over his early work.  I've seen many posts by shockslayer where he was truly just trying to help other modders but it was interpreted as shockslayer overreacting.  Shockslayer is very passionate about his hobby and helping other modders avoid making the same mistakes that he's made, I've never seen shockslayer do anything to deserve bad attention.

People can hate on me and my work all they want.  When I see the same mentality being used against other people I feel that I should speak up because it's right to speak up against this sort of behaviour.  I hope that other people will recognize just how wrong this sort of treatment is and will also speak up against it.  Being a little critical in a polite way can be a very good thing, such as constructive criticism done privately and not in a way meant to make a public example of a person and that person's work, going overboard is wrong and easy to do.

I ask that if other users want, you may share examples of people being overly critical and unwilling to to let a person make up for his or her past mistakes so we can discuss it here maturely.  Please do not post links to the threads where these examples come from because I don't want to add more attention to this sort of bad behaviour.

Last edited by Drakon on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Over-criticism of other modders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-criticism of other modders   Over-criticism of other modders EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 11:13 am

I've recently come across posts trashing the work done by thunderblaze.  I gave thunderblaze free help in the past and he turned around and publicly called me an "@sshole" in return when all the drakon hating began.  I'm saying this because I want people to understand that I owe thunderblaze nothing and he is not my friend.

The work thunderblaze posted looks fine.  His work is a bit student, but what good will trash talking his work on a forum that he doesn't go to accomplish?  If people have suggestions for how thunderblaze can improve his work, then they could send him a polite private message with their suggestions instead of feeling the need to make a public example of him.  Thunderblaze has done rude things in the past, but he doesn't deserve that sort of bad attention.

Thunderblaze really enjoys making great how-to guides for beginners and he's more than open to good suggestions.  I would know because I basically explained the entire superfx overclocking guide to thunderblaze and he was constantly getting me to correct the mistakes he made on that guide before he posted it. This is another example of how people are making a public example of someone because they think it's fun, not because anything good would come from it.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

Over-criticism of other modders
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General Discussions-
Jump to: