Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

monitors and other stuff.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mvsfan

monitors and other stuff. Empty
PostSubject: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 7:48 pm

I now have two professional 14" monitors for my test bench.

1 is a samsung s-video monitor that has the absolute clearest s-video ive seen out of a display - price was free one of our friends gave it to me.

1 is a sony pvm 146nu RGB monitor that i bought for 24.00. well spent.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 pm

mvsfan wrote:

1 is a samsung s-video monitor that has the absolute clearest s-video ive seen out of a display - price was free one of our friends gave it to me.

Wow that's a great price. Good finds.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 8:13 am

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

Wow that's a great price. Good finds.

my cheap ademco monitor quit working correctly. the video is super blurry. so these came right in time.

speaking of monitors - any idea where i can find an inexpensive RF demodulator? the only thing these dont have is an rf tuner and i could use one for testing out top loaders before i rgb them.

also - i was supposed to post some other stuff.

the other stuff was my weekend project - replacing the refrigerator. It took 4 people to get the old one down the stairs and the big hill to get it to a truck to haul away.

then getting the new one up was fun.

i also had to fix a cut icemaker line. the guy who sold it to us just cut the line i guess he couldnt figure out how to disconnect it.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 8:58 am

No idea about the rf thing. If you want to quickly test a nes 2 you can just tap the audio from the pcb and see if audio is running. You won't be able to test the image but if you have audio then I think it's safe to assume it's working. You could also wire up a small composite video amp to some breadboard and wire it in to test a nes 2 if you really feel the need to test video.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 11:04 am

the s-video on the samsung is much clearer and sharp than the pvm's s-video. i was surprised. i guess because its an rgb monitor they didnt want the s-video clearer.

i used the loop-through on the pvm to hook them both up to the same super nes at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 12:17 pm

mvsfan wrote:
the s-video on the samsung is much clearer and sharp than the pvm's s-video. i was surprised. i guess because its an rgb monitor they didnt want the s-video clearer.

i used the loop-through on the pvm to hook them both up to the same super nes at the same time.

I've never understood how that works. I have two crts that take s-video and my rca is way clearer with s-video. The only tv I got for 25$ because it has component inputs so I can test component video on it and watch dvd movies or whatever through component.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

I've never understood how that works. I have two crts that take s-video and my rca is way clearer with s-video. The only tv I got for 25$ because it has component inputs so I can test component video on it and watch dvd movies or whatever through component.

yeah, i have a component crt as well. its nice to have something on the bench though. Wink

ive been talking so much about the s-video on these monitors because i still dont have an bnc to scart cable to hook up rgb.

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 4:51 am

mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

yeah, i have a component crt as well. its nice to have something on the bench though. Wink

ive been talking so much about the s-video on these monitors because i still dont have an bnc to scart cable to hook up rgb.

I just realized why. the samsung is 800 tv lines. its higher than the pvm.

Also - here is a pic of my test bench.

monitors and other stuff. Rd9Nxz1
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 6:30 pm

Cool picture, I just use a tiny wooden table.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:22 pm

i also ran across something on ebay. Nec multisync LCD monitors can be had for around 200.00 and up on ebay and most of them have RGBHV 15khz inputs in back.

they are made for digital signs and such. apparently they are also good for games.

Im really interested in seeing more reviews from more people who have these. nec makes a whole line of rgb-capable lcds. I did read a customer review where the person said that these are awesome for gaming.

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/large--screen-displays/v462 thats just one of several displays i found.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 9:45 am

Sounds like a good tv, no crt official scanlines but those won't be made forever.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: yeah.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 pm

thats what im starting to think of, drakon. Crts arent being made anymore except for Pvms and arcade monitors as far as i know.

I love crts theres really no replacement for them.

but its going to get to the point where they will all need to have the chassis rebuilt at the least.

by then whatevers left out there for sale will all probably have huge burn in or loose aperature grills.

Im glad they are still making pvms but they only go up to 20".

By the way i talked to someone on shmups who has one of the new nec commercial lcds with rgbhv and he said that the rgb inputs are kind of an afterthought and you still really need an external scaler for it to look good.

but it has much improved brightness, colors and contrast than a retail tv.

so after you use a scaler they look much better than a tv would.

Sounds good to me.

im glad i asked about these.

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 8:27 pm

i finally got a cable to hook up my pvm to rgb. it looks great. i guess the only way i could top it is if i got a 900 line bvm.

theres one thing i dont like about it though it has some kind of error in the osd.

for color saturation it wont let me adjust that. instead of having a number next to it like its supposed to it just has two lines on that option and wont let me move it.

it looks very good but the contrast could be more.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 9:18 am

mvsfan wrote:
i finally got a cable to hook up my pvm to rgb. it looks great. i guess the only way i could top it is if i got a 900 line bvm.

theres one thing i dont like about it though it has some kind of error in the osd.

for color saturation it wont let me adjust that. instead of having a number next to it like its supposed to it just has two lines on that option and wont let me move it.

it looks very good but the contrast could be more.

You can adjust the contrast right?  You said only the saturation won't adjust.

I baby my crt haha.  I bought it when it was brand new in 2001/2 and have been nice to it.  I don't leave the screen on with a still image, I don't leave it on in attract mode either.  I basically have done everything I could to prevent screen burn and the image still looks as good as when it was new.  This crt is so used that both the original s-video port and power button broke.  I replaced the s-video port and wired up a 4 pin header since those have a stronger connection anyway.  I replaced the original flimsy power button with a big push button from my parts drawer.

I could never live with a 20 inch crt, that's just too small. I know that someday I'm going to have to experience my classic stuff on a flatscreen. At that point I'll probably also have to abandon s-video.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 1:56 pm

i like the idea of getting one of these new nec displays and running the video through an xrgb first.

Ive heard almost nothing but good things about the xrgb.

Ive just never seen it before so i really dont know what to think.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: monitors and other stuff.   monitors and other stuff. Empty

Back to top Go down

monitors and other stuff.
Page 1 of 1