Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

brother hl-2240 printer fix

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mvsfan

brother hl-2240 printer fix Empty
PostSubject: brother hl-2240 printer fix   brother hl-2240 printer fix EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm

I bought a brother laser printer for almost nothing and i was hoping to sell it. It had no power at all it would not turn on. First thing i figured was bad power supply or bad fuse.

the fuses all checked good and the power supply puts out the correct volts.

so i moved on and started checking other boards inside.

i took out the usb or Logic board and noticed when i flipped it over that the spot of the pcb under one of the chips was cooked a bit.

this particular chip doesnt have any legs on it i wouldnt even know where to begin soldering it.

So i took the board out of my own personal hl-2230 printer and put it in, put it back together and turned it on.

This non-working dead printer now works fine with that board but i need that board for my good printer.

I have not been able to find a replacement for over 2 months and it looks like this otherwise working printer will be either sitting around or going to the curb if i cant find one.

im really surprised that one hasnt shown up on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: brother hl-2240 printer fix   brother hl-2240 printer fix EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Smeh, we got a new wirless color printer / scanner with ink for 30$. Not worth it these days.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: brother hl-2240 printer fix   brother hl-2240 printer fix EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 11:08 pm

I guess ill just keep it as a parts printer although i cant see anything really going wrong with mine. i surge protect most everything electronic.

that printer was probably just plugged into the wall.

Depending on how a surge hit the fuse doesnt always blow and it will move to another part.

a long time ago i had a pioneer audio amp and lightning caused 2 large capacitors inside to self destruct. the fuse never opened.

i was there when the lightning struck.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: brother hl-2240 printer fix   brother hl-2240 printer fix EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 9:38 am

You'd be surprised.  Sometimes pcbs fry due to just poor design and not lightning bolts.  The pcb for the ac adapter for my digital camera fried because of those stupid flip-prongs.  Apparently the connection wasn't very solid with them causing the pcb to overstress which made a big power trace bubble and break.  I repaired the huge broken trace, replaced the flipping prongs with a regular power cord, and it's worked fine for years this way.

I'm not certain if fuses are meant for surges or something shorting.

The one time I suffered a lightning bolt damage the electricity went straight through my 1974 pioneer amp without damaging everything and fried the sound card in my computer that the amp was plugged into.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: brother hl-2240 printer fix   brother hl-2240 printer fix EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Drakon wrote:
You'd be surprised.  Sometimes pcbs fry due to just poor design and not lightning bolts.  The pcb for the ac adapter for my digital camera fried because of those stupid flip-prongs.  Apparently the connection wasn't very solid with them causing the pcb to overstress which made a big power trace bubble and break.  I repaired the huge broken trace, replaced the flipping prongs with a regular power cord, and it's worked fine for years this way.

I'm not certain if fuses are meant for surges or something shorting.

The one time I suffered a lightning bolt damage the electricity went straight through my 1974 pioneer amp without damaging everything and fried the sound card in my computer that the amp was plugged into.

or mabeye it just jumps the fuse from the hot side of the fuse to other parts of the pcb and just never actually passes through the fuse since its so powerful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: brother hl-2240 printer fix   brother hl-2240 printer fix Empty

Back to top Go down

brother hl-2240 printer fix
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Modding Information And Tutorials :: Electronics Repairing-
Jump to: