Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Viletim's NESRGB

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mvsfan

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:38 am

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:
well now ill have a picture as good as this one on my nes. If only i was as good at megaman.
It'll be even better because there's no jailbars or interference.
True but you cant argue with price. i just watched a playchoice ppu go for $84.08 on ebay.

that was unheard of just a month ago. pretty soon people will be selling them for metals scrap.
Smeh, I'm glad.  I want more money forwarded to viletim so he can afford to spend more time making more amazing products like this.
thats very true too. I cant wait to see what he makes next.

I wonder how many nesrgbs were sold in the first batch.

Its a great thing to no longer have to hunt for an rgb ppu and deal with the quirks of it.

Btw that nes in your playthrough video Sounds awesome. Is that the audio circuit on the nes rgb or is that famicom expansion audio or both?
You mean minus infinity?  That's a twin famicom with the low pass filter cap removed:

https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/t336-famicom-audio-fixes

I never bothered with the nesrgb audio circuit since I've already found fixes for the on board audio circuits of these systems. The nesrgb audio circuit doesn't have wiring for famicom carts with audio chips.
I dont own a twin. do you know where the fix would be for a top load nes and a toaster? id like to do this to mine.

btw have you tried those 3rd party tomee dogbones? they are good. they look just like the nintendo made ones and they work too.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 12:04 pm

I haven't tried a third party dog bone.

The toaster sounds fine to me.  The top loader sounds fine too it's just super quiet because the audio amp is built into the rf box so if you don't use rf you get unamped audio.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:48 am

[quote="Drakon"]I haven't tried a third party dog bone.

Neither did i until recently. Tomee got all the dimensions of the original right it seems. even the curvature on the back is right.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 6:19 pm

I got in the nes 2 / av famicom adapters viletim made which I sent out measurements for.  I got them early to test them before release to the public and.....

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 ClzKmZH

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 HO5Xh0q

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 XsfRFrT

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 O23xgSo

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 Qio1wbo

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 PsuVEtH

Same adapter works in both the nes 2 and the av famicom.  This adapter moves the kit over so it fits nicely under inside the case.

I cleaned up my av famicom a lot as you can see in the pictures here, I also reverted the pcb changes made for the f-labo kit which is now extinct.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Prototype av famicom is finished:

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 LYZA0iX

This system features a new audio circuit that makes use of a modified version of the nesrgb audio circuit and some custom wiring to fix every single audio issue that the av famicom has by default.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 9:58 am

what resistors did you use on s-video? Id like to wire mine with s-video also.

also, where is the capacitor between 5v and ground did you not need it this time?

I got an email today that my nesrgb has shipped.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:32 pm

mvsfan wrote:
what resistors did you use on s-video?  Id like to wire mine with s-video also.

also, where is the capacitor between 5v and ground did you not need it this time?

I got an email today that my nesrgb has shipped.

You'll never need a cap between 5v and gnd that turned out to be a loose connection somewhere.  I suggest trying the s-video wiring as it is when it shows up.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am

You'll never need a cap between 5v and gnd that turned out to be a loose connection somewhere.  I suggest trying the s-video wiring as it is when it shows up.[/quote]
cool. i cant wait to get this in. Ive been playing this toploader lately and its got lots of interference. my other nes has an rp2co4 in it.......
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 am

Some new pics featuring the reworked audio circuit:

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 7AcPFi7

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 B8F1HYP

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 XFLirTR

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 ZdEIsZE

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 ZgA5OPK

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 TA7kMlq
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 3:12 am

Speaking of famicoms i remember a while back you had posted a link to a famicom adapter on ebay that had the cartridge facing forward. I tried to find it recently but couldnt.

Do you still have the link to it id like to get one.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 6:01 pm

mvsfan wrote:
Speaking of famicoms i remember a while back you had posted a link to a famicom adapter on ebay that had the cartridge facing forward. I tried to find it recently but couldnt.

If it's not linked in the sales thread then the seller relisted it and you'll have to find it.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

If it's not linked in the sales thread then the seller relisted it and you'll have to find it.
I found it in the sales thread like you said.

I have prepped my nes to accept the nesrgb when it gets here. i cant wait. but i noticed that viletims kit and the adapter dont look like they have the headers pre-attached. was that a cost factor descision? it sure would have saved the end user a lot of soldering.

but whatever, im just glad that the kit is finally here.Smile
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:07 pm

He mails the headers with the parts you solder them yourself. Most likely to avoid possible damage during shipping.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Drakon wrote:
He mails the headers with the parts you solder them yourself. Most likely to avoid possible damage during shipping.
good idea though a sturdy cardboard box insert in the envelope would achieve the same.

I used my multimeter and figured out how my on on on switch works. Its wired opposite of yours. the middle position the shunts connect the opposite way, but ive already jumped it and tested it. it works.

now if this kit gets here soon ill be able to choose my palette without cutting and re cutting the hole.

cool thing is that every single connector im using for this project is round.

I also found some panel mount s-video and din connectors for rgb that have screws to mount them so i dont have to glue them. the 8 pin din i found that matches viletims scart cable has screws and it is also prewired.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x-MINI-DIN-8-FEMALE-PANEL-MOUNT-SCREW-CONNECTOR-visca-control-cable-socket-jack/370802862352?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2653905220885858839%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D370574671231%26
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 4:45 pm

wow those av connectors aren't cheap. I find gluing in connectors never bad they can always be removed with zero damage to the case.
Back to top Go down
Grambo

Grambo

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm

I guess I might consider these if there wasn't an minimum quantity order of 8 and shipping weren't $17 to Canada.....
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Grambo wrote:
I guess I might consider these if there wasn't an minimum quantity order of 8 and shipping weren't $17 to Canada.....
I bought one lot of these. i put in a low offer and he accepted it.

i guess i have a few extras in case anyone really wants one.

I was reading about some problems people have had with the installation of nesrgb.

Apparently some people are getting the diagonal lines on rgb like a bad snes s-video cable has. The solution is to use csync on the nesrgb - as always.

but some people are saying that they are also getting it on s-video. now thats probably just a bad cable right?

I wish i had mine to mess with. it seems like everyone is getting their kit now.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 6:10 pm

I got my nesrgb and installed it today. Everything is done except i didnt have time to wire up the Rgb socket.

I hooked up composite though and it works great this is the cleanest composite ive seen out of a nes.

Also looks like everyone is right you dont need the extra voltage regulator - i hooked up the nesrgb to the internal regulator and its been running very cool a lot cooler than a nes with an rp2c03 in it.

i also used the on on on switch. palette selection works great.

I will post some pics of it when i get the rgb socket/svideo done.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Yeah viletim was careful to use parts that consume the smallest amount of power possible.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 I4Ab7FC

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 IVGzorN

First picture of a game running on my nesrgb.

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 SyOKfZG
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 9:27 pm

I just looked up the pinout for the x-rgb mini connector so i should have the rgb working tomorrow. thats what i wasnt clear on.

the colors of the wires on the port i bought dont match up but i knew that beforehand.

I also think i have the audio hooked up wrong.

oh well all for tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Looking good!
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 12:06 pm

any ideas why the audio doesnt work? did i tap the right pins on the cpu?
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 12:28 pm

The audio inputs a / b connect directly to cpu pins 1 / 2.  The output pin (I forget what it's labelled as) goes to it's own rca jack.  Did you remember to wire up ground to your rca jack? Also I'd remove some of the solder on the ground pin to remove the chance of it shorting with the +5v pin right next to it.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 4:53 pm

well - I get nothing out of rgb except a flickering purple screen.

im going to try hooking up s-video.

Composite works great !

i get composite at the same time i get a purple screen out of rgb.

Well composite is working so thats telling me that the nesrgb is recieving the right signals through the ppu socket and everything should be working on that end of it since its being generated by the fpga.

From this on fpga generated composite
Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 T918tLq
Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 SyOKfZG

to this on rgb

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 HF3WkfZ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Viletim's NESRGB
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next