Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

another great kit.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Kevtris designed an epic hdmi nes mod. it is a kit that works by going in between the cpu and ppu. but with hdmi.

a custom digital audio sound is built into it that gives the nes 5.1 sound.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 9:53 pm

mvsfan wrote:
Kevtris designed an epic hdmi nes mod. it is a kit that works by going in between the cpu and ppu. but with hdmi.

What? That's awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:18 pm

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

What? That's awesome.

it wont been released for a while yet they are still working on a few bugs. I saw it on youtube.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:24 pm

mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

What?  That's awesome.

it wont been released for a while yet they are still working on a few bugs. I saw it on youtube.

I just checked.  It looks like the audio is completely recreated using a fpga (for obvious reasons).  I read somewhere that he's going to recreate the additional audio chips using fpga.

My concern is that the kit will be soldered into both the ppu and cpu.  If the kit is one piece then it will only fit into a toaster nes unless he plans on releasing different versions for different consoles.

I hope that a nes 2 / av famicom version gets made and someone 3d prints a back plate for those systems with a hdmi port.

I'm really glad this is getting made.  That was one thing I bugged viletim about, asking him to make a hdmi version of the nesrgb.  I'm glad that it's being made finally by someone.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:28 pm

nah. the kit looks like its going to have 2 small boards with sockets on top of them and a ribbon cable coming out from underneath each socket and going to the actual hdmi board. it also has screws on the sides of the hdmi board secure it to one side of the nes.

with that setup it should mount in almost any system.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:54 pm

mvsfan wrote:
nah. the kit looks like its going to have 2 small boards with sockets on top of them and a ribbon cable coming out from underneath each socket and going to the actual hdmi board. it also has screws on the sides of the hdmi board secure it to one side of the nes.

Not much space inside a nes 2 / av famicom, 3 boards, hope they're ultra small.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

Not much space inside a nes 2 / av famicom, 3 boards, hope they're ultra small.

im sure they will work it out. it would be nice though to see an audio only kit come out of this for people who still want to use rgb. a lot of people have a lot of money invested in crts and various equipment that goes with them. especially bvms.

dont get me wrong, i love the hdmi idea. ill likely build one to connect to the 56" flatscreen.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Interesting suggestion but.....rgb with recreated digital audio?  Seems a bit weird to me.

Anyway I chatted with him it will fit in a nes 2 and therefore the av famicom should work too.  It also seems he wants to give as many options as possible with this device.  I'm really excited about this kit.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Drakon wrote:
Interesting suggestion but.....rgb with recreated digital audio?  Seems a bit weird to me.

Anyway I chatted with him it will fit in a nes 2 and therefore the av famicom should work too.  It also seems he wants to give as many options as possible with this device.  I'm really excited about this kit.

This IS what was needed to still be playing the nes in the future.

im excited about this kit too. ive been saying for a while there needs to be a good solution for current tvs. the x-rgb is far from ideal.

same goes for the genesis and other retro systems.

i dont know if other systems have digital video signals internally like the nes does.

i know the snes is capable of digital audio.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 10:13 am

mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:

im excited about this kit too. ive been saying for a while there needs to be a good solution for current tvs. the x-rgb is far from ideal.

i dont know if other systems have digital video signals internally like the nes does.

I agree with you.  However for genesis and other great systems to make this happen you would be recreating the vdp / ppu with fpga in order to go digital and at that point we would be asking what the difference between that and emulation / a clone system is.  The only reason this is possible in the nes is because there's a way to make the ppu in the nes output digital video, so on the hdmi nes the image is actually being generated by the ppu.  The audio of this kit is being emulated or recreated by the fpga in order to be digital.  It's no huge deal though and I understand why he did that and I'm glad that he did.  A properly done fpga recreation should sound exactly the same as the real thing, just without all the analog noise.

The snes is capable of digital audio but like this mod when you add digital audio to the nes you disable the ability to mix in analog audio from the cartridge slot.  And before you start going "pfft big deal" remember that the msu-1 cd quality audio from the sd2snes mixes via analog on the cartridge slot.  With digital audio on the snes you can't have cd quality audio from the sd2snes.

I'm no expert but from what I've seen there's not a lot of great consoles where the ppu outputs digital video.  Most consoles the best the ppu outputs is rgb right from the ppu chip and then that rgb gets amplified and encoded into other analog video formats. For a system that has a video chip that only outputs analog you'd be recreating the entire video chip and at that point you might as well do what bunnyboy did with his "hdmi nes" and fpga recreate the entire system.  The n64 and gamecube I believe have digital video, so this would be possible for both of these systems.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:

I agree with you.  However for genesis and other great systems to make this happen you would be recreating the vdp / ppu with fpga in order to go digital and at that point we would be asking what the difference between that and emulation / a clone system is.  The only reason this is possible in the nes is because there's a way to make the ppu in the nes output digital video, so on the hdmi nes the image is actually being generated by the ppu.  The audio of this kit is being emulated or recreated by the fpga in order to be digital.  It's no huge deal though and I understand why he did that and I'm glad that he did.  A properly done fpga recreation should sound exactly the same as the real thing, just without all the analog noise.

The snes is capable of digital audio but like this mod when you add digital audio to the nes you disable the ability to mix in analog audio from the cartridge slot.  And before you start going "pfft big deal" remember that the msu-1 cd quality audio from the sd2snes mixes via analog on the cartridge slot.  With digital audio on the snes you can't have cd quality audio from the sd2snes.

I'm no expert but from what I've seen there's not a lot of great consoles where the ppu outputs digital video.  Most consoles the best the ppu outputs is rgb right from the ppu chip and then that rgb gets amplified and encoded into other analog video formats. For a system that has a video chip that only outputs analog you'd be recreating the entire video chip and at that point you might as well do what bunnyboy did with his "hdmi nes" and fpga recreate the entire system.  The n64 and gamecube I believe have digital video, so this would be possible for both of these systems.

i wonder if you could do the digital audio deal, run it through an analog converter first and then hook the cartridge slot audio up to it. Smile

from your video, the digital audio does sound different even when going back to analog.

Ive kind of not had time for my snes because ive been building some nesrgb kits.

never did get to try your digital audio mod.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 12:25 am

I think either the dac chip or the amp in the snes is a little sub-par.  The reason why my digital to analog mod sounds better is it uses a newer and better quality external dac / amp.  I remember someone telling me that someone else just replaced the audio amp in the snes and the sound quality improved the same way my mod did.

You're right with my mod the cartridge audio could be mixed in.  However, if someone wanted to send the signal to an actual digital sound system then it wouldn't be possible to mix the cartridge audio into that since the snes cart mixing is done as analog.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Drakon wrote:
I think either the dac chip or the amp in the snes is a little sub-par.  The reason why my digital to analog mod sounds better is it uses a newer and better quality external dac / amp.  I remember someone telling me that someone else just replaced the audio amp in the snes and the sound quality improved the same way my mod did.

You're right with my mod the cartridge audio could be mixed in.  However, if someone wanted to send the signal to an actual digital sound system then it wouldn't be possible to mix the cartridge audio into that since the snes cart mixing is done as analog.

I dont even own any sound equipment with a digital audio port. I still have a pioneer unit from 1997. it weighs a ton and has 5.1 sound. The sound on it is still amazing.

I also have an onkyo unit someone gave me.

what i want to say is that the analog sound would be fine for me. Some things sound better analog anyway.

a lot of albums sound better on vinyl or tape.

I can think of one offhand that lost something in the analog conversion.

Ride the lightning by metallica - a lot of cliff burtons bass on this album got lost on the cd compared to the vinyl version.

same thing with a lot of other albums. others though sound better on cd. i think it has a lot to do with the mixing process though.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 9:29 am

Ages ago when I still lived with my family my mum's husband had a new tv with a 5.1 digital audio system and blu-ray player (which he still has today).  I was using my 1974 pioneer amp and big speakers where the stereo sound sometimes doesn't work so I keep it set to mono (which I still use today).  He listened to my system and I listened to his.  He said that my system sounded better than his.  I didn't think his system sounded any better than mine.

Maybe my ears aren't good enough to pick up the extra clarity of digital audio.  However, for video I can certainly see the difference between composite and s-video as well as the difference between vga and dvi.

I think it's just a matter of taste.  This kit will provide digital audio because hdmi tvs will only accept digital audio from my understanding.  He implemented this so people won't have to add an analog sound system to their hdmi setup.

This kit is exciting to me because he added all the things that I wanted viletim to add with the nesrgb such as hdmi and the ability to update the firmware easily.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 3:00 pm

I asked viletim about doing an hdmi-only version of the nesrgb and for whatever reason he wasnt interested.

im sure tim has more mods hes working on though.

the n64rgb just came out recently but that wasnt really what i was looking for.

if someone could re-create the chip in the gamecube component cable or if they figured out how to give it rgb or hdmi that would be cool though.

yeah, the first good sound system i ever bought was the 5.1 pioneer it was bought brand new.

its made in japan not china.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 1:09 am

mvsfan wrote:
I asked viletim about doing an hdmi-only version of the nesrgb and for whatever reason he wasnt interested.

if someone could re-create the chip in the gamecube component cable or if they figured out how to give it rgb or hdmi that would be cool though.

yeah, the first good sound system i ever bought was the 5.1 pioneer it was bought brand new.

Chinese stuff isn't always bad.

Anyway gamecube av port on the back is digital everything so that would be doable.  Also I read somewhere that the n64 video signals are digital in the console so that should be possible to convert into hdmi as well unless I read wrong.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 11:28 pm

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

Chinese stuff isn't always bad.

Anyway gamecube av port on the back is digital everything so that would be doable.  Also I read somewhere that the n64 video signals are digital in the console so that should be possible to convert into hdmi as well unless I read wrong.

Yeah, i know that the n64 has digital video internally. thats how viletim was able to make his kit. I was saying im not really interested in n64 itself. - not his kit. I think his kit for it is neat.

i would be interested in a mod for gamecube though because thats what i play all my gameboy stuff on. neat thing about the gamecube is that the mod could probably just be built into a plug in module with an hdmi port on it if someone could find enough matching connector for that digital port on the back.

also an
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 9:35 am

I'm not sure how hard it would be to make one of those gamecube connectors but that would for sure be the best
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 10:31 pm

Kevtris just made another update on his youtube channel. this hdmi kit keeps getting better all the time.

Now with correct audio pitch overclocking!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 pm

I guess that's pretty cool.  Except pushing the cpu too fast probably isn't good for it. If you want an overclocked nes experience I think it's best done on an emulator or a cpu that can take the abuse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

another great kit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: another great kit.   another great kit. Empty

Back to top Go down

another great kit.
Page 1 of 1