Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  Empty
PostSubject: NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain    NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:36 pm

After finishing the toaster this morning I set to work on the nes 2. After making a royal mess of the desoldering I changed the desoldering iron to a new head and suddenly desoldering was super easy. I cleaned up the mess and fixed all the broken traces but I was getting garbled graphics. I double and triple checked my repair job and all looked good. Next I pulled up the famicom schematic so I could probe each ppu connection since the system was indeed running just the graphic tiles weren't right. Unfortunately the famicom schematic tells you where the ppu would connect to the cartridge connector of a 60 pin famicom cart instead of a 72 pin nes connector. Therefore I pulled up the mighty ben heck nes to famicom pin chart and used that in conjunction with the famicom schematic to figure out where the ppu pins were supposed to connect. After spending the entire day checking my work and probing I found the dead connection and the machine was finally restored. Indeed the dead ppu connection was from a connection and trace that looked perfectly fine and had no damage do it...

NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  Somerepairs

NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  Stuffdesoldered

NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  Sallgood

Anyway this nes 2 now has the ppu precision socket installed. I also swapped out the chip that lets you use the powerpak with a rgb ppu. And I even desoldered the rf box and removed the back plate since I'll later be installing a multi av port into the back plate.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain    NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Aaaaaanyway. Wired up the video circuit of the kit with the cxa2075 upgrade and installed the rc2c05-04 ppu with the two ic circuit needed to make it work on a home console. Wired it all up and it worked perfectly first try:

NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  Kitwired

NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  Nes2lives

point for gryffindor!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain    NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 11:26 am

I did some more work on this system but couldn't be bothered to take pictures. I installed the multi av port in the back....that's all for now laughing
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain    NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 pm

I built the audio circuit and wired it up. I also wired the c45 and c46 connections into pins 16 and 17 of the nes connector (these pins are unused they normally go to the expansion port and that's all). I modified my famicom to nes adapter to connect pins 45 and 46 to nes pins 16 and 17 and it works great. I can stick a famicom cartridge with upgraded audio into the adapter, plug the adapter into the system, and get amazing quality audio with the upgraded audio mixed in. Keep in mind that the upgraded audio will only get mixed in when the system is switched to kit audio mode. Unfortunately there's no way to get powerpak extended audio without either building an adapter for the powerpak out of a game genie or soldering inside the powerpak which I don't wish to do:

NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  Paulaudiodonxor

All that's left to do is wire the outputs into headers and connect them to the multi av port at the back. Then I just re-install the heatsink close the case and this awesome system's done. Oh yeah and I have to wire up the audio switch which will be easy for this system.
Back to top Go down
WiiFitPlus

PostSubject: Re: NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain    NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 10:30 pm

People must laugh when they see I have two consoles being done by you at the same time.

Well guess what people, it's my 3rd!! Drakon is just that good.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain    NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 10:58 pm

OnyxDomain wrote:
People must laugh when they see I have two consoles being done by you at the same time.

Well guess what people, it's my 3rd!! Drakon is just that good.

Haha. Interestingly enough I'm still making discoveries with how to improve these systems.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain    NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:10 am

okay I've been doing more famicom related work lately there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that audio circuit on these av famicom kits is specifically tailored to the audio circuit found in the av famicom. The nes 2 has a completely different audio circuit than the av famicom so it didn't sound good when I wired the kit into the audio pins of the nes 2. I disconnected the nes 2 audio from the onboard circuit and re-created the first four resistors of the famicom audio circuit and this made it sound much better but still not quite as good as the av famicom. I also got hit with a bunch of new commissions so I don't know when I'll next have free time to do experimentation. I can try buying 1/8 watt resistors and seeing if that helps at all.

The GOOD news is that I've perfected my clock divider circuit that improves the s-video quality. There was a major flaw with the circuit I built before causing it to go in and out of working but after poking around I found the fix.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain    NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain  Empty

Back to top Go down

NES 2 (top loader) Commissions for: Onyxdomain
Page 1 of 1