Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Atari 2600 all around discussion

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Slutty

Slutty

Atari 2600 all around discussion Empty
PostSubject: Atari 2600 all around discussion   Atari 2600 all around discussion EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 am

Discuss whatever you want about the Atari 2600. They are probably my 3rd favorite company and I am a huge fan of the 2600. Let's talk favorite games, mods, or whatever you want. First thing I have to say, that have my 2nd favorite slogan of all time. Yeah I like to number things.

Back to top Go down
AlecRob
AlecRob

PostSubject: Re: Atari 2600 all around discussion   Atari 2600 all around discussion EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 2:42 am

I have always wanted to pick up a 7800. I'm a big fan of Yars Revenge.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Atari 2600 all around discussion   Atari 2600 all around discussion EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 10:29 am

I'll make an atari section and move this thread into there.

*edit*

Holy sh#t this's f#cking sick!

Atari 2600 all around discussion 24karatgoldatari26001024x768

http://www.abmuku.com/2011/12/10/gaming/24-karat-gold-atari-2600-with-two-joysticks-best-holiday-gaming-gift-2011/

That's so wicked!

*edit again*

Atari 2600 forum created and topic moved.

https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/t215-atari-2600-all-around-discussion
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Slutty

Slutty

PostSubject: Re: Atari 2600 all around discussion   Atari 2600 all around discussion EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Does that 2600 actually work or is it just for show? That's pretty cool, but no practical purpose besides showing off. lol
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Atari 2600 all around discussion   Atari 2600 all around discussion EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Slutty wrote:
Does that 2600 actually work or is it just for show? That's pretty cool, but no practical purpose besides showing off. lol

I dunno, but it would be awesome if it works.

Anyway the atari 2600 was the first home console I ever played. My uncle left it at my grandma's house and she had it in her coat closet. My grandma's house was really boring so I decided to pull it out, plug it in, and give it a go. Back in 198x I wasn't a gamer, the 2600 was a good system but not enough to make me start playing video games seriously and buy them. I didn't become a gamer until 1989 when I played megaman 2 on the nes, but that's a different story. Still some games on the 2600 I found really fun like pitfall (stupid no ending), that tank game, vanguard (the first shmup I ever played!), and of course space invaders. My favourite game I played on it actually was vanguard, I felt that game required more strategy than others.
Back to top Go down
Slutty

Slutty

PostSubject: Re: Atari 2600 all around discussion   Atari 2600 all around discussion EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah it was my first console. My brother got a NES way back when and my dad picked up a 2600 for me at a flea market with some games and I played that up until I got a Genesis. The 2600 for me represents everything I love about video games that seems to be missing in most games today. Those high score arcade days of when games were simple but challenging, and were not played for story or great graphics, but the game play, challenge, and feeling you get when accomplishing a new milestone high score. I also grew up in arcades a lot, not in the late 80's or anything but the early 90's scene, and that is why I love fighting games so much. They seem to have melded together the old with the new. New concept but the challenge of the game and competing with fellow gamers. They seem to be the only games to me that still hold true to that more than any others. Although even fighting games do crap I don't like such as try to give them deep story line cut scenes and have to do beat all sorts of stories to unlock half the roster. That's probably just why I love the 2600 so much I guess. I love the fact that most the games have no ending. There is no need for one and that makes for the ultimate replay value.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: 2600   Atari 2600 all around discussion EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 pm

I had a 2600jr when i was a kid. during one of my moves though the original 2600 disappeared, along with all my games. no idea where it went, I had forgotten about it by then, it was collecting dust since i got my nes.

when i decided to get another one though, i also got a 2600jr, but i realized that it was just as fuzzy and interference-filled as my original one was, So i upgraded it to s-video and the video is perfect now.

Future mods include rewiring the controller port to locate the reset button on a sega master system controller, and installing a pause kit with the pause button also on that controller.

Im going to use pins 7 and 9 wich are unused on joysticks, they are only used for the paddles. Ill have a toggle switch on the console so i can set these pins back to original, and still plug in paddles with the flick of a switch.

I will also have to borrow the cable from a genesis controller since the cable on the master system one doesnt have enough wires in it.

and then i guess ill have to get some more games.

sometimes I think i actually enjoy the hardware mod part of it more than i do playing the games.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Atari 2600 all around discussion   Atari 2600 all around discussion EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 7:35 pm

mvsfan wrote:
I had a 2600jr when i was a kid. during one of my moves though the original 2600 disappeared, along with all my games. no idea where it went, I had forgotten about it by then, it was collecting dust since i got my nes.

when i decided to get another one though, i also got a 2600jr, but i realized that it was just as fuzzy and interference-filled as my original one was, So i upgraded it to s-video and the video is perfect now.

Future mods include rewiring the controller port to locate the reset button on a sega master system controller, and installing a pause kit with the pause button also on that controller.

Im going to use pins 7 and 9 wich are unused on joysticks, they are only used for the paddles. Ill have a toggle switch on the console so i can set these pins back to original, and still plug in paddles with the flick of a switch.

I will also have to borrow the cable from a genesis controller since the cable on the master system one doesnt have enough wires in it.

and then i guess ill have to get some more games.

sometimes I think i actually enjoy the hardware mod part of it more than i do playing the games.

For me it's all about the games. Experiencing great games in improved ways is like giving them new life.
Back to top Go down
Electric Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Atari 2600 all around discussion   Atari 2600 all around discussion EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 1:39 am

I actually owned an Atari 2600 in 1982 (heavy sixer). The best game I had for it was Pac-Man. I also had Combat, Freeway, ET, and Kaboom. A Springer Spaniel chewed up the cables and in the 90's my stepmother threw away the console. I recently purchased a broken one at a video game store for $10 and repaired it (light sixer). The light sixer does not appear to be as well made as the heavy sixer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Atari 2600 all around discussion   Atari 2600 all around discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Atari 2600 all around discussion
Page 1 of 1