Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom Empty
PostSubject: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom EmptyWed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom XXiCiTl

Famicom control pad can't work with a very long cord?  Nintendo fixed that with their nes control pad pcb:

Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom Jvt1vAE

Nothing quite like more power to boost the signal strength.

Big thank you to Angiebug for pointing out I should post this mod in this thread as well.

Last edited by Drakon on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
AngieBug

AngieBug

PostSubject: Re: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom EmptyMon Aug 04, 2014 5:24 pm

This is great information however I've read in places that the Famicom controllers are limited to a specific length and may require additional modification.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 12:13 am

AngieBug wrote:
This is great information however I've read in places that the Famicom controllers are limited to a specific length and may require additional modification.

I fixed that ages ago.  Since the nes controllers have unlimited length I looked at the difference between the nes controller pcb and the famicom.  Was just some pull up resistors.  Aside from the resistors the nes and famicom player 2 controller pcbs are identical.  I added the resistors to my famicom controllers and now they work with unlimited cord length.

I seem to have forgotten to post it in an easy to find place, whoops.

Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom Jvt1vAE

Taken from here:

https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/t271-twin-famicom-modded-control-pad

Yeah that wasn't a very obvious thread name.

There's also a pin on the famicom expansion port that goes to one of the nes controller ports to be able to use the light gun, if you look at the schematics of the nes and famicom you can find it.

Big thank you to Angiebug for pointing out that it's a good idea to post that mod in this thread.

Last edited by Drakon on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AngieBug

AngieBug

PostSubject: Re: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom JM6dPrJ

Because I had a 1.6k and a 2.0 k ohm resistor I decided it would be worth the dollar in my pocket to simply solder the two together and get a 3.6k ohm resistor.

For people who don't know any resistors value can be checked by it's colors or with a good multi-meter.

The following link is great for pesky 5 and 6 value resistors.
http://www.digikey.ca/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-resistor-color-code-4-band

The blue one is a 5 color and the beige is a 4.

Blue: 2k Ohms 1% (Red black black brown brown)

Beige: 1.6k Ohms 5% (brown blue red gold)
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah I do that all the time, except why didn't you just clip the legs short, tin and solder them together?
Back to top Go down
AngieBug

AngieBug

PostSubject: Re: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom CnhpsMD

Yep, That's the next step but now the shrink hides the work (they where checked, soldered closely, and then wrapped)

R2 looks more singed then it really is. I wiped it clean and it looks fine now.

Now i wait for my Famicom...
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 am

For my controllers I didn't use heat shrink tubing just because there was nothing on the back side of the pcb for them to short against.  It certainly doesn't hurt to be extra cautious   thumbs up 

It doesn't matter if a resistor is a little singed, if the leg is still attached it should work just fine.  Resistors are so cheap it's not like you need to worry about reusing it later for something else.
Back to top Go down
AngieBug

AngieBug

PostSubject: Re: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 am

Very cheep! It's just a small 6 min drive to pick up more 20cent resistors. Smile
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 7:33 pm

AngieBug wrote:
Very cheep! It's just a small 6 min drive to pick up more 20cent resistors. Smile

I get packs of 100-500 from ebay for like, 2$ shipped.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom   Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom Empty

Back to top Go down

Wiring NES controller ports into a famicom
Page 1 of 1