Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

work in progress.

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

work in progress. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 8:17 pm

The toaster pcb is upside down. The kit mounts into where the ppu normally is and it wouldn't fit between the pcb and the bottom of the case and the pcb when sitting how it's designed. If you know how to wire the kit you can have the rgb ppu in the system with the required connections relocated to the kit elsewhere. Also the kit does have a surface mount chip which is the video encoder.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Drakon wrote:
The toaster pcb is upside down. The kit mounts into where the ppu normally is and it wouldn't fit between the pcb and the bottom of the case and the pcb when sitting how it's designed. If you know how to wire the kit you can have the rgb ppu in the system with the required connections relocated to the kit elsewhere. Also the kit does have a surface mount chip which is the video encoder.

how would i go about ordering this kit? when the time comes could i just buy one off of you? do you have the one without the audio upgrade? ive listened to the audio mod and actually kind of prefer the original sound.

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 2:04 pm

[quote="mvsfan"]
Drakon wrote:

how would i go about ordering this kit? when the time comes could i just buy one off of you? do you have the one without the audio upgrade? ive listened to the audio mod and actually kind of prefer the original sound.

btw, do you have a pdf or something of the instructions to install this kit? has anyone translated them yet? do you need to be able to read it or does it come with schematics?
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 pm

I don't offer instructions to build the kit, and I don't really feel like ordering one for you unless you want to pay me extra money for the trouble. I never order the kits without the audio mod everyone wants the mod and loves it. Building and installing the kit is too complicated to make a guide, I also have changed some of the circuit myself. If you want to build the kit yourself then you're on your own.

mvsfan wrote:
mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:

btw, do you have a pdf or something of the instructions to install this kit? has anyone translated them yet? do you need to be able to read it or does it come with schematics?
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 5:39 pm

if i had lots of extra money i wouldnt be doing it myself :P

seriously, though at this point im going to try something different. i took the video amp out of the nes and then hooked it directly up to my arcade cabinet and it worked fine, albeit the picture was dark. at first i got a scrambled picture but then i remembered that the monitor has a 1v, 3v switch on it. flipped it to 1v and it worked fine.

there has to be something about that external yuv encoder that is making it not work.

I am going to be ordering a jrok soon, because those seem to work fine in this setup. it will be PPU > Ultimarc amp > Jrok > component jacks > Tv, and an lm1881 i already built on sync. IT should work FINE. ive seen this setup before and im not really changing anything.

also, something to test instead of the ultimarc, is that i have seen a clean picture out of an ncs2553 amp. i may just build one, but the datasheet is confusing. it has a couple of different options for external parts. one is for AC coupled video and one is for Dc coupled video. and then they have 3 resistors on the input side, and it says Rs on all of them. well what values are they supposed to be?

basically im redoing this nes.

Drakon wrote:
I don't offer instructions to build the kit, and I don't really feel like ordering one for you unless you want to pay me extra money for the trouble. I never order the kits without the audio mod everyone wants the mod and loves it. Building and installing the kit is too complicated to make a guide, I also have changed some of the circuit myself. If you want to build the kit yourself then you're on your own.

mvsfan wrote:
mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 5:46 pm

heres a link to the datasheet. http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NCS2553-D.PDF
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:34 pm

Easiest known rgb amp is the ths7314. It's probably pretty much the same thing as what you just posted, but it's confirmed to work with the rgb nes I've built this amp myself ages ago it works fine.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 am

Drakon wrote:
Easiest known rgb amp is the ths7314. It's probably pretty much the same thing as what you just posted, but it's confirmed to work with the rgb nes I've built this amp myself ages ago it works fine.

would this circuit work for the nes? http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/ntsc_nintendo_64_rgb_new.htm

also, i just won 15 of these "http://www.ebay.com/itm/14x-Universal-SSOP-SMT-DIP-PCB-Adapter-Proto-Test-SSOP28-Prototype-Module-14pcs-/330831610138?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=E1e3KdbFcvjhA9rmDM%2BLnofnLMs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"

i cant wait to try the boards out can likely fit 3 small smds on it as well as supporting hardware. it will definately do an amp and an lm1881.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 am

Yes that's the ths amp. This amp was originally posted on a japanese modder website by baku.

mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:

would this circuit work for the nes? http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/ntsc_nintendo_64_rgb_new.htm

also, i just won 15 of these "http://www.ebay.com/itm/14x-Universal-SSOP-SMT-DIP-PCB-Adapter-Proto-Test-SSOP28-Prototype-Module-14pcs-/330831610138?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=E1e3KdbFcvjhA9rmDM%2BLnofnLMs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"

i cant wait to try the boards out can likely fit 3 small smds on it as well as supporting hardware. it will definately do an amp and an lm1881.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: atari.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 5:32 pm

if that nes amp doesnt work im going to get a jrok instead of the external box. but i will try the amp first.
i actually think that the other amp got fried when i removed the db9 from it. live and learn i guess.

btw, it took me half of today to get that atari done, it couldnt have gone better. for sng, i used a ribbon cable on the tia side of the kit. it didnt harm the picture a bit and really made it a neat installtion, although i dont see why in the world this thing comes with all the wires to solder to the tia, since i had to socket it and lift the 4 pins anyway. Drop in would have been better.

i now have an s-video 2600jr. i didnt have a 3.5 headphone jack for the audio though, so i didnt hook it up yet. the jr has so little space i couldnt think of any other way to do it and get everything on the back. putting all that cable shit on the side really looks stupid.

that kit i got turned out to be awesome. so clear. i still have to play with the brightness and contrast though.

Drakon wrote:
Yes that's the ths amp. This amp was originally posted on a japanese modder website by baku.

mvsfan wrote:
Drakon wrote:

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Well if I can manage to fit a s-video jack and a stereo headphone jack into a pc engine without removing the rf box then you should be able to make things work with your atari jr.

work in progress. - Page 3 Drakonpceod

It is possible, just requires a lot of planning and patience.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Drakon wrote:
Well if I can manage to fit a s-video jack and a stereo headphone jack into a pc engine without removing the rf box then you should be able to make things work with your atari jr.

i just simply didnt have a headphone jack on hand. the kit came with rca jacks. i have to go to the store and get one tomorrow. i already have a spot picked out for the stereo jack. also, i removed the rf jack thats where the s-video jack is now. no need for rf anymore, or the composite jack that also comes with the kit. i didnt bother to use it.

also i am seeing the slightest, barely noticable interference on my screen. it looks like rf waves, and i am going to clip power to the rf modulator and put the sheilding back on when i do the sound. the jack is gone but the rf unit is still active since its not located on the jack but further in the system.

ill be done tomorrow.

work in progress. - Page 3 Drakonpceod

nice work.

It is possible, just requires a lot of planning and patience.

yeah, i just heat shrinked the ends for now and tucked the sound wires inside they are already soldered up to the kit.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Ive Almost got the new amp done.

btw, i havent been taking any more shots of my projects because my camera is not working right anymore. everything i take close up is blurry now and it never used to be.

well, the atari is done except for my moving the reset to the controller and adding a pause switch also on the controller.

and ive almost got the new nes amp built. im waiting on some more parts. i combined both the amp and the lm1881 on two unbroken soic adapter pcbs i bought. the whole thing is about the size of a quarter.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:06 pm

well, the atari is done except for my moving the reset to the controller and adding a pause switch also on the controller.

for this im making a modified master system controller using a genesis cord that has all of the wires in it. unfortunately the ms controller is missing two wires making it impossible to add two extra buttons.

i got a db9 connector that doesnt have plastic molded around the back of the pins so i should be able to cut the two pins and solder wires to them.

i could use the genesis controller but i feel its got too many buttons on it for an atari.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 pm

I totally forget what you're building haha.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 5:31 pm

with this new nes amp i built, its small enough ive decided to positioned right next to the rgb ppu.

its going to dump rgb directly into the amp with less than 1/4" between the two. i still havent decided how to mount it yet. ill probably stickytape it on top of the ppu.

im excited, i never got that other one working so i didnt get to see any of the "issues" with it, but i know there would have been some if i actually got a stable picture.

im not done with it yet. i still have an issue with 1 line is connected where its not supposed to be because of the small scale of these chips and pcbs. i need to clean up the solder a bit until pin 3 doesnt ohm out as connected to pin 2 easy enough to fix i just have to get on it again.

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 5:34 pm

once im sure that the chips are soldered correctly and nothings bridged, i just have to wire it up.

[/quote]
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 5:39 pm

btw, the link i gave you for the pcbs im using wasnt right.

this is the right one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOIC-SSOP-SOP-SMT-Dual-DIP-Adapter-Board-Proto-PCB-SOIC8-SOIC16-SSOP8-SSOP16-/380541758315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589a0e6b6b

If you leave 2 of these unbroken, its just big enough to fit the 2 chips and all the supporting hardware on.

i love these things.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 10:08 am

mvsfan wrote:

btw, the link i gave you for the pcbs im using wasnt right.

this is the right one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOIC-SSOP-SOP-SMT-Dual-DIP-Adapter-Board-Proto-PCB-SOIC8-SOIC16-SSOP8-SSOP16-/380541758315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589a0e6b6b

If you leave 2 of these unbroken, its just big enough to fit the 2 chips and all the supporting hardware on.

i love these things.

What I don't get is I found a thread where someone said he couldn't get the ths7314 to work as a rgb amp in the pc engine or a rgb nes.....the ths7314 is the easiest amp in the world to wire up it should work in anything. The original person to discover and publish information about this chip wired it into a rgb nes. I've personally wired one into a rgb nes and it works fine.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 1:16 pm

he probably had some pins bridged and didnt think to do a continuity test before wiring the rest up.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 1:17 pm

this is the smallest chip ive ever soldered. i did a region switch on an original model snes but it was only a few pins. those pins are also f'in small.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 2:11 pm

mvsfan wrote:
this is the smallest chip ive ever soldered. i did a region switch on an original model snes but it was only a few pins. those pins are also f'in small.

Yeah that's why I get a sop to dip adapter.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 8:51 pm

I guess i should update this. I started back at the beginning and rewired this whole damn thing and it works perfect except for a very slow rolling of the picture now.

Ignore this thread, because THIS is not the way to build an rgb nes, ive since learned a whole lot of different things that give a much better picture.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: work in progress.   work in progress. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

work in progress.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3