A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.
 
HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share
 

 Consolized GameBoy Advance

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

Consolized GameBoy Advance Empty
PostSubject: Consolized GameBoy Advance   Consolized GameBoy Advance EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 12:32 pm

After seeing some cool consolized gamegear projects I decided to tackle a consolized gameboy advance. I used the gba tv converter for this project:

Consolized GameBoy Advance XQntG01

This converter is the most common tv adapter for the gba (it's also very cheap). And the best news is bacteria was nice enough to post the soldering pinout to bypass the ribbon cable which tends to lose connectivity very easily:

Consolized GameBoy Advance WsxBRlX

This device uses a sony cxa2075 video encoder, nice. The device plugs itself into the gba power connections so you can power both the gba and tv converter from a single power supply which is also nice.

When I got my tv converter running I was presented with a s-video picture completely full of jailbars. After much pain and suffering I discovered that disconnecting the capacitor on the chroma output didn't disable chroma in s-video. To disable chroma I had to disconnect the caps for both chroma and composite video, which made me consider that they wired composite video and s-video together in the av cable. I snipped off the built in av cable and wired up my own s-video jack and sure enough the jailbars suddenly were 90% removed. To fix the other 10% of the jailbars I just weakened the chroma line until they completely went away since these jailbars are only on chroma. I also adjusted the luma output resistor to a better value. The s-video circuit in this was wired up like the application circuit from the datasheet which certainly isn't ideal so a little circuit mucking fixed all distortion. There was a lot of jailbar distortion at first it's like night and day compared to before. Here's the first build of it that's working as it should:

Consolized GameBoy Advance NjGL03h

Consolized GameBoy Advance NntlY6w

I need to buy a parts gameboy to harvest a cartridge slot so I can remotely wire the slot. Captured video coming shortly.

*edit*

Consolized gba + home built devcart + marioland colorized romhack ftw!

Consolized GameBoy Advance A5rC5cn

*edit again*



Last edited by Drakon on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
MaxWar

MaxWar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2013-06-01

Consolized GameBoy Advance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Consolized GameBoy Advance   Consolized GameBoy Advance EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Great job Drakon! This things gonna be badass!
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

Consolized GameBoy Advance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Consolized GameBoy Advance   Consolized GameBoy Advance EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 2:23 pm

MaxWar wrote:
Great job Drakon! This things gonna be badass!

It already is haha. There's a small switch to go between default res and stretched. I'm going to try to wire that into my controller port when I get to that point. I plan on straight wiring one of the many spare snes controllers I have and never use for anything.

*edit*

Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

Consolized GameBoy Advance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Consolized GameBoy Advance   Consolized GameBoy Advance EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 12:16 pm

I fixed the video, silly youtube.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2012-01-25
Location : Canada

Consolized GameBoy Advance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Consolized GameBoy Advance   Consolized GameBoy Advance EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
Sponsored content




Consolized GameBoy Advance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Consolized GameBoy Advance   Consolized GameBoy Advance Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Consolized GameBoy Advance
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Projects / Showcase :: Works in Progress-
Jump to: