Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Viletim's NESRGB

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Kind of hard for me to do anything without the system being here. With mine rgb works fine.
Back to top Go down
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Drakon wrote:
Kind of hard for me to do anything without the system being here. With mine rgb works fine.
yeah i know its kinda hard to troubleshoot without something being in front of you.

Im going to try hooking up s-video first and see if i get anything out of it.

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 7:43 pm

ive been playtesting my nesrgb for the last few days and it works good theres no glitches when playing games or anything like that. When i get a chance im going to put some new thermal compound on the heatsink/regulator.

I ordered an s-video connector so ill have something besides composite to play on until i figure out whats wrong with rgb.

but damn the composite is so nice looking i might not even need rgb once i see the s-video.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 8:01 pm

mvsfan wrote:
ive been playtesting my nesrgb for the last few days and it works good theres no glitches when playing games or anything like that. When i get a chance im going to put some new thermal compound on the heatsink/regulator.

I ordered an s-video connector so ill have something besides composite to play on until i figure out whats wrong with rgb.

but damn the composite is so nice looking i might not even need rgb once i see the s-video.
Yeah one of the first things I confirmed with viletim long before this project was announced was the s-video circuit he used. He pretty much did s-video perfectly, the only thing I would have done differently is used a cxa2075 encoder instead of a ba7236af. I understand why he chose the rohm encoder is uses far less power and it's s-video isn't much worse than the sony encoder.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 pm

when do you think viletim will have more boards in stock? im probably going to do my toploader too. i read that the next batch is going to have a couple extra pads for famicom expansion audio.

thats just a bonus to this already great product.

btw thanks for suggesting the on on on switch. i like it a lot better than that slide switch.

and you really dont need the fourth position that kills the nesrgb and does a passthrough of the original yucky composite.
but if i did want that i know how to do it. I would just put another toggle between ground on the on on on switch.

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 10:17 pm

I don't know when the next batch will be in. Try e-mailing tim.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 2:11 am

here it is the nesrgb in action. i got rgb working. only thing i need to change is to use csync instead of cvid. i changed the sync over to cvid when things werent working and now im getting a checkerboard.

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 JuhvnCh

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 A5OFDvp

Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 QrGD6Yk

I re-wired the power circuit today. I noticed that this toaster was running hot after a while i could smell the electronics heating up so i added the extra regulator.

its fine now.

I also got the sound working. I had reversed 2 wires.

And i put the sync line back to csync.

This project is completely finished. Count this one done.

If it wasnt already out i would call this a Super NES. :P

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 am

now that this is done i think im going to re-visit my ccam genesis.

Ive got some adjustable guitar pots to put in it so i can tune the sound however i want to.

and speaking of sound - i really like the way the nesrgb sounds. Another sucess for viletim. Smile
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Yeah nesrgb uses a good opamp.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 7:02 am

i realize that i do have 2 more things to do to this. Im waiting on some resistors so i can hook up famicom expansion sound, and i got the s-video connector in yesterday so im going to put that in.

when i built this i decided that i wanted all of the connections available so i could hook this nes up to almost any tv not just rgb.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 9:05 am

mvsfan wrote:
i realize that i do have 2 more things to do to this. Im waiting on some resistors so i can hook up famicom expansion sound, and i got the s-video connector in yesterday so im going to put that in.

when i built this i decided that i wanted all of the connections available so i could hook this nes up to almost any tv not just rgb.
That's a good idea. Yours didn't come with a s-video connector? I don't know what connectors he's shipping them out with I got pre-release versions that included everything for the sake of testing and coming up with solutions.

Speaking of solutions my on/on/on toggle switches are in I'll wire one up when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 10:09 am

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

That's a good idea. Yours didn't come with a s-video connector? I don't know what connectors he's shipping them out with I got pre-release versions that included everything for the sake of testing and coming up with solutions.

I Got a kit of assorted parts with it some of them i didnt use. the connectors he sent would have to be glued in.

i opted instead for panel mount connectors that have mounting screws. you can get them from mouser and they come pre-wired.

But i also bought some of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130828015483?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

they dont come prewired but the price is right.

Tim said in one of his posts that he hopes to offer some with the next kits for like a dollar more each. i hope he does.

Speaking of solutions my on/on/on toggle switches are in I'll wire one up when I get a chance.
i thought you had already done the switch.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 11:13 am

Nope hadn't done the switch yet. I made the wiring schematic based on internet research alone.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 11:31 am

Ive been thinking of something. If i was going to install one of viletims kits into a playchoice board - i could just socket the ppu, splice the RGB output on the nesrgb into the jamma adapter, hook up power and call it a day right?

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Theres something im not clear about on hooking up the famicom expansion audio in the toaster.

wich pin on the expansion connector am i supposed to connect into the output of the Nesrgb?

do i have to do anything else besides connect this one pin?

Im not using an adapter so i dont need to mod it. not yet anyway.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 5:57 pm

mvsfan wrote:
Ive been thinking of something. If i was going to install one of viletims kits into a playchoice board - i could just socket the ppu, splice the RGB output on the nesrgb into the jamma adapter, hook up power and call it a day right?

Yeah, except you're not "splicing" you just disconnect the rgb traces via removing a component on the circuit.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Drakon wrote:
mvsfan wrote:

Yeah, except you're not "splicing" you just disconnect the rgb traces via removing a component on the circuit.
cool. now about that famicom expansion audio.

the diagram im looking at says to connect pin 46 to the nesrgb audio out.

is that pin 46 on the expansion connector or somewhere else?

Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 8:44 am

Pin 46 of the famicom cartridge, that's where the audio comes from.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 9:03 am

Drakon wrote:
Pin 46 of the famicom cartridge, that's where the audio comes from.
im using a Us version n8.

Im looking at my enio expansion board and its connecting pin 3 to pin 9 on the expansion port.

It works as a temporary fix for expansion audio.

I guess that pin 9 is for expansion audio since pin 3 is audio input.

im going to try wiring pin 9 into a 1.2k resistor and then to the nesrgb audio output.

Success! but the expansion audio only works somewhat right on the powerpak or original. its bad on the n8. I remember reading one of your posts about that drakon.

I also wired in the s-video socket it works great.

this is a done project. thanks for showing me this kit in the first place.

Im really enjoying the sound on this thing. Some games like skyshark sound more like a sega genesis and not an nes.

Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 5:59 am

I think ive figured out whats wrong with the expansion audio.

its too quiet. the expansion audio is mixing in a lot softer than the regular audio.

I guess if i take the resistor off of it and only have one on the regular audio it will mix better.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 9:52 am

You need a resistor just use a smaller one. The problem with flashcarts is they're way quieter than real carts both the n8 and powerpak have this problem. You can adjust the mixing volume either for real carts or for a flash cart but you can't do both unless you wire in a switch because it would require that you change the resistor.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Drakon wrote:
You need a resistor just use a smaller one. The problem with flashcarts is they're way quieter than real carts both the n8 and powerpak have this problem. You can adjust the mixing volume either for real carts or for a flash cart but you can't do both unless you wire in a switch because it would require that you change the resistor.
one more switch / jack/ etc on the back isnt going to hurt this thing theres already a ton there. I think i will add a switch.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Admin
Admin
Drakon

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Personally I'd prefer the authors of the cartridges just make the volume louder, unless there's something stopping that from happening.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Drakon wrote:
Personally I'd prefer the authors of the cartridges just make the volume louder, unless there's something stopping that from happening.
sounds like a quesiton for krikzz.
Back to top Go down
mvsfan

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 6:14 pm

are there any good rgb to component encoder chips out there with minimal external components?

what would work with the nesrgb?

id like to build one with a built in component encoder.

what about this? http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/31194/TOSHIBA/TA1287.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Viletim's NESRGB   Viletim's NESRGB - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Viletim's NESRGB
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next